Help a noob

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShortThrow

Baseband Member
I tried searching....please don't bash.

Anyways, I'm trying to transfer my music and movies to another computer but I don't know the best way to do so.

I have a router and plent of ethernet cables.

How should I go about this?

TIa

Both computer connected to the router? Both computer have internet? What OS are running on the computers? The best way is with the router.

I'm installing the same OS on my other computer now, the OS is xp pro corporate. Both could be connected to a router and with that the internet.

How should I set it all up to make it work?

PS. Law! you seem to help me everytime! THanks man

It's simple, after you install OS what you want to do is disable simple file sharing on both XP Pro. Go to control panel/folder options, then click on the view tab and scroll down until you see "Use Simple File Sharing" make sure you uncheck this on both computer. I've made a list below you should follow if you want to get this thing working without a problem.

1)After the simple file sharing is disable you want to get the computers to access the internet, then right click on "My Computer" properties, go to computer name tab. Make sure both computer are in the same workgroup. Else click change and enter the same workgroup. Do this for both computer and restart both machine.

2)Open up command prompt, then use comp1 to ping comp2 and comp2 ping comp1. Example from comp1 pinging comp2 if comp2 ip address is 192.168.1.101, you can verify the ip address in the command prompt by doing ipconfig /all

ping 192.168.1.101

Make sure you get a reply on both computer, if not disable the windows firewall and any firewall or security program running. Then ping again and verify you get reply.

3)Go to control panel/Administrative tools/Computer management. Open up local users and group then select users. Verify that the Guest account is enable and not marked with a red x. Otherwise you will have to enable it, right click on Guest, go to properties and uncheck "Account is disable". Do this for both computer.

4)Go to control panel/administrative tools/local security policy. Open up local policies then select User right assignment. Search for the policy call "Access this computer from the network", double click on it, you should see the "Everyone" in there, if not you will have add it like in step7 if it's there leave everything alone. Now look for the policy call "Deny access to this computer from the network" make sure there is nothing listed there, double click on it and remove anything in there especially the "Everyone". Do this for both computer.

5)Go to your network connection in control panel. Right click on your local LAN and go to properties, verify File and Print sharing is installed in the list, double click Internet Protocol TCP/IP, then click advanced, go to WINS tab and verify that NetBIOS is set at Default. If not then set it and click ok to save. Do this for both computer.

6)If you made any changes from above make sure you restart the machines in order for the changes to take affect.

7)Now on the folder you like to share, right click and select "Sharing and Security". Go to sharing tab, check "Share this folder" and enter a share name if you have to. Now click on Permission, verify that "Everyone" is listed there. If not you will need to click Add, a dialog box will appear, click advanced then find now. It will list some users and group, scroll down until you see "Everyone", click on it to select it, press OK, then OK again, then OK again to get back to the sharing tab. Now go to the security tab, verify that the "Everyone" is listed there, if not you will have to do the same like the step in the sharing tab. After that leave the permission as it is and click apply and Ok to exit.

You should always restart after making a change. Now you should be set for file sharing if you follow these step. If you have any issue, let me know.

This looks like alot of step, but it really is less work then you think. Some of these step are just to make sure you have everything configure correctly, so some you might not even need to do but it's a good idea you follow it.

Have you ever heard of Network Magic? It's a 30 day trial software that can configure your file and print sharing with just a few mouse click. It pretty much makes life easy if you don't like to follow long instruction like above.

I never used it and I always do it the old fashion way but if you like to give it a try heres the link http://www.networkmagic.com/product/

After 30 days, I don't know what will happen if you uninstall it, or if it will maintain your configuration and if you will still be able to share files and printer. That is why you have me and the step I posted LOL.

I recommend you do it the old fashion way, rather then be dependent on another third party software since Windows only need a couple of tweak to get it working. I don't know why I even posted about the software anyways, just wanted to let you know there are things like this on the internet that resolve computer issue easily.

quick question, when you say, in step one, to connect both to the internet, am I supposed to do that part through a router?

Yes you should have both computer connected to the router and be able to access the internet on both computer, this will verify that the router, cables and NIC card are all functioning. Then you can start to file share. Cause if you can't access the internet then we will have to start troubleshooting that before we can even get file sharing to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom