hd no longer active. win XP

wmrayt

Beta member
I was trying to clone my boot drive on an IBM T60. It would not clone the service partition. Now my boot partition is no longer set to active. Is there any way to make it active again. The clone partition will not boot iether. It is a wd black 500gb. I tried using the software wd said to use and it would not work. Tried another one and it faied also. Now I can't boot to either drive. I have a xp disk. Not ibm. I tried to repair. It fails. I tried to repair the wd drive it says windows does not see the drive. It does show in bios. I have not tried a fresh instal on the wd as yet. Do not want to loose any copies of the data, not backed up ofcourse.

Well you would have to make it active with Windows or Acronis. But that wont help your issue.

You will need to install XP to another hard drive and install this as a storage device not to lose your data. Then for the love of all things, backup.

I was trying to clone my boot drive on an IBM T60. It would not clone the service partition. Now my boot partition is no longer set to active. Is there any way to make it active again. The clone partition will not boot iether. It is a wd black 500gb. I tried using the software wd said to use and it would not work. Tried another one and it faied also. Now I can't boot to either drive. I have a xp disk. Not ibm. I tried to repair. It fails. I tried to repair the wd drive it says windows does not see the drive. It does show in bios. I have not tried a fresh instal on the wd as yet. Do not want to loose any copies of the data, not backed up ofcourse.

As ksod suggested try this as well:
Ultimate Boot CD 5.2.3 Download - TechSpot
On the ubcd there is one or two live distros on it, use the windows based one and find your inactive partitioned drive.
Renable it and have its check disk utility check the disk for any errors or any bad sectors.

Had to do this quite a few times this year and this one saved me 2 headaches in the last month.
Best of luck to you. :)

Do as Mak suggested.

Also, for future reference if you decide to clone an HDD again... Do a Disk-to-image clone FIRST to a secondary drive, and THEN do an Image-to-Disk to the new drive you want to clone to. Never do a direct, disk-to-disk clone if you can help it, IMO. That way you leave the original drive un-touched, and have a backup image just in case.

I've been in a similar situation as yours when I tried to directly clone my friend's HDD over to an SSD and something went wrong during the clone and it messed up the boot.

I tried installing xp on new drive. Installation could not find drive. Is visible in bios. Having a terrible time downloading ubcd. First image would not boot on two dif. Computers. Gave error of could not find kernel or some thing like that. Downloaded from another site and will try again in morning.

Back
Top Bottom