HD failure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Masurame

Beta member
Hello everyone!

I'm making this thread to see if anyone has any insight in to why my comp keeps crashing when I'm not using it!

It started nearly a month ago when I was starting out on Aion, my comp kept 'chopping' and freezing completely and I thought that I may be running the specs a little high even though I was getting around 50-60fps. Then all of a sudden my comp crashed and I can't remember if it had a BSoD or not but I think it did. Anyway when I booted it back up it said "disk read error, press ctrl alt delete to restart.' I turned it off and tried it again in an hour or so and it worked fine without even running a repair just asking if I wanted to boot in safe mode etc.

About a week past and I was watching a DVD on my xbox and my comp was running idle in the background and it did it again, this time I didn't see a BSoD because I only heard it go off. SAme thing happened when I boot my PC a few minutes later.

The other morning it did it again and I just turned it off and I booted it up 30 minutes later and it worked fine.

However, tonight it went off (again when idle) and didn't come back on right away. It first just stayed on the first 'ACER' screen for ages, and I had to select boot options after restarting for it to boot up. After a few attempts to boot up it wouldn't work, screen went black, windows vista loaded for 10 minutes and repair wouldn't come up.

Eventually repair came up and said something about taking an hour to fix and I just played my xbox sat in front and 10 minutes later it rebooted normally!

After discussing it with my unhelpful comp enthusiast friend he either suggested it was a recent buggy install or a failing HD. My HD had failed early this year but ACER replaced it and its worked fine. This computer is only a year old from the shop and I've only put a 8800 graphics card in, the default one being weaker. After browsing the internet (ie, google) and looking at HD failure symptoms, mine don't seem to fit, no odd noises or dodgey file saving.

Anyone got any ideas of what it might be and how to fix it! I'm kinda panicking I have important files and need to do work so I want my PC!

Thanks in advance, Jim

As the name indicates, memtest is a memory testing application that you boot to from a CD. The great thing is that not only will it test memory it also puts other parts of the system under stress and because it runs from the CD, it takes the HDD out of the equation. Basically it leave you with with three possible outcomes:
1) memtest shows errors - you have bad RAM
2) computer has same symptoms as before - it is not your HDD
3) test runs fine for a number of hours - it is almost certainly the HDD

I don't see how it would be the RAM. I know you know a lot more than me and I aint argueing but like I said, it happens when I'm NOT using my computer.

If my HDD is indeed failing, what steps should I take to fix it/stop it from failing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom