Having problem with remote desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

steves85

Baseband Member
I am trying to connect a virtual xp system to my win 7 desktop via remote desktop. Well i guess im trying to access xp from win 7 is the correct terminology. I keep getting an error telling me to ensure the network is connected, ensure the name is correct and ensure the system is turned on.

I have the virtual machine running, both systems can connect to the internet, I have enabled remote desktop on both machines. I set a static IP on the virtual machine, and am using that IP to connect.

What have I missed?

what are you using to run the virtual machine? xp mode? vmware server? etc...

you'll want to set the networking mode for the vm to bridged. it could be set to nat right now.

test network connectivity by ping'ing the static ip. this is a basic network test, then move up from there.

Thanks.

I am using Virtual Box. I didnt touch the NAT/Bridge settings as i thought it would interfere with connecting to the internet on the virtual machine.

I will try testing the IP on the virtual machine and then look at the bridge settings. Do I need to setup a Domain or Workgroup?

Thanks again

the computer can be in either a workgroup or a domain. it doesn't matter. you will be prompted for login credentials to start the remote desktop session. be sure to use the correct credentials at login

I am using Windows XP Home, which i have since read is not compatible with rdc? Is this correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom