Having a problem with my printer on my network

Status
Not open for further replies.

guitarplyrstevo

In Runtime
I just bought a Linksys WRT600N. I finally have my computer (wired), my sisters laptop (wireless) and my dads computer (wireless) all connected to the internet. I shared the printer that is connected to my computer (wired) so the rest of the computers in my house will have access to that printer, however they can only print stuff when my computer (wired) is turned on. Shouldn't they have access to the printer whether the computer is turned on, standby or whatever? From what I remember my old D-Link DI 624 as able to print whether the computer is on or off. What should I do to fix this?

if your printer is connected only to your pc, the rest of the network won't be able to access it when your pc is off.
Think of it as connection points. The only connection between the printer and all other pc's being your pc. If that's gone, no printer for the rest.

HOWEVER, if your printer is instead connected to a router or switch, turning off individual pc's will not effect the networks ability to print.

if your printer is connected only to your pc, the rest of the network won't be able to access it when your pc is off.
Think of it as connection points. The only connection between the printer and all other pc's being your pc. If that's gone, no printer for the rest.

HOWEVER, if your printer is instead connected to a router or switch, turning off individual pc's will not effect the networks ability to print.

Alright, I understand now. My Linksys WRT600N has a USB storage port in the back. I know it is normally used for external drives so you can have storage on your network. What if I plugged my printer to that? Wouldn't it be the same concept? If you want to access files from the router, it will read whatever is plugged into the USB port (external hard drive). What there were a printer plugged into there? Wouldn't it access the printer through the same port?

I doubt that the router USB storage port has the correct USB drivers to drive a printer. It will likely not recognize the device if you plug it in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom