have linux on adn have windows xp, but won't boot xp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

weside23

Solid State Member
ok so i downloaded linux puppy. i'm running it right now, it's an ok program. i have a windows xp corprate ED. but this gateway(crap) won't boot the cd . that was b4 it first i installed linux. i formated the hdd. then i installed linux because i thought i could install the xp cd from linux. i can't figure out how does anyone know a way?

so waht i'm saying is there a way? i can't even find the cd on linux i have another computer w/ xp and the cd is fine there.

You cant use XP from Linux. Linux doesnt use the same installer methods as Windows. It doesnt recognize the executable format. It uses other things.

You will have to set your BIOS to boot from CD and have the XP CD in the tray.

wow, sorry but i know all about bios and cd setup. i have avist that boots but this computer is not 64 bit compadile. so i know it boots. if linux won't is there any Os i can download straight to the computer and then boot xp? ,mabye

What does the PC being 64 Bit compatible have to do with anything? Unless the version of XP you are trying to boot from is XP X64 then it doesnt matter if it support 64 Bit or not.

There is no OS that you can use to do what you are looking to do. There is no Linux distro that can do it and all versions of Windows have their own bootable CD/DVD's. The only option you have is via a floppy disk set to get the CD drive recognized by a command prompt to start the install of XP.

So basically what your saying is that the XP CD you have is not bootable and you want to install XP again. Getting a genuine copy and it will boot. That is the only thing we can suggest. Contact Gateway, they can send you replacement media.

they can send it for free?

O i can figure what i want to do was impoosible but it's worth a try

i mean 64 bit compadible because i have a windows vista gateway cd and it won't boot because it says it's not 64 bit compadilbe only 32 bit. it's also not for this gateway

No they will not send it free. It will cost you processing, shipping and handling. It is usually about $20 to get the replacement media.

Did you remove the Recovery Partition that should have come with the PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom