Have I been hacked?

What's their scoring criteria? How much testing did they do? Did they test all of each one's components?

Sorry, but without them providing more info on why they're "the best" other than price / product "features" vs actual detection/removal rates, then I don't trust their ratings.

Plus, if you click on the "?" next to each of the Windows 7 Performance scores, it says "AV-Test results Windows 7 August 2013". Things change a lot from August to December... which is when AV-Comparatives did their testing.

Read the document I linked to - it's very in-depth and shows exactly what was tested.

I took my laptop to Microcenter and they did a full system restoration, which normally costs $100 but he did it for free because he said he felt bad for me. My computer was being used as a proxy, he said it was a "Zombie Computer" that someone had manually compromised, but the issue hasn't been fixed. My computer is usable again but I'm back at square one since my data is still off the charts and my accounts are still being ****** with. I have norton installed and all of my firewalls are up but it's still happening. It isn't messed with when I'm disconnected from the internet. So I think someone is doing it through my wifi, but I'm not sure. His advice was to get a new internet provider, which wouldn't be a bad idea since Time Warner has been ripping me off for quite some time, charging me $200+ a month for everything.

That means you were infected with a botnet.

As for your accounts... go to a different computer and change the passwords. Then, run scans with MBAM, TDSSKiller, and Panta Anti-Rootkit to make sure there are no rootkits/keyloggers on your system still.

As for Norton... like I said before.. Norton sucks - get rid of it and get something better.

Nianov said:
they did a full system restoration
Wow, you're infected with a botnet, and their suggestion was a system "restore"?

I would've said (if this was for free of course) full wipe and reinstall! You don't mess around with botnet malware. If this was my personal computer, I'd only boot it into safe mode (w/o networking), until I'm positive that none of that junk was present anymore.

Last edited:
Wow, you're infected with a botnet, and their suggestion was a system "restore"?

I would've said (if this was for free of course) full wipe and reinstall! You don't mess around with botnet malware. If this was my personal computer, I'd only boot it into safe mode (w/o networking), until I'm positive that none of that junk was present anymore.

My guess is when he says full system restore, my assumption was that it was from restore media and/or restore partition. Not just a "System Restorepoint."

My guess is when he says full system restore, my assumption was that it was from restore media and/or restore partition. Not just a "System Restorepoint."
I'm hoping that's the case. That's one of my pet peeves when people say "restore/refresh" rather than "recovery/wipe". Two totally different procedures with completely different results. :p

I'm hoping that's the case. That's one of my pet peeves when people say "restore/refresh" rather than "recovery/wipe". Two totally different procedures with completely different results. :p

Even worse is when you tell somebody to "restart their computer" and they think you mean reformat, and ask "won't that delete all my stuff?" lol.

They restored it because my laptop was at a dead end with the HP Recovery Manager. After they were finished everything was gone and was like it was brand new, factory defaults I think, however whatever started this whole thing is still there.

Does restoring to factory settings screw with the Hard drive space? Before this problem started I had around 370 GB of hard drive space. After they did the restore/reinstall my laptop has around 90 GB of space. I would just go out and buy a brand new laptop or desktop if I could. Well, I mean I could but there are other things that are more important. Rent, bills and whatnot.

They restored it because my laptop was at a dead end with the HP Recovery Manager. After they were finished everything was gone and was like it was brand new, factory defaults I think, however whatever started this whole thing is still there.

Does restoring to factory settings screw with the Hard drive space? Before this problem started I had around 370 GB of hard drive space. After they did the restore/reinstall my laptop has around 90 GB of space. I would just go out and buy a brand new laptop or desktop if I could. Well, I mean I could but there are other things that are more important. Rent, bills and whatnot.

Sounds like stuff is still on there, but they just did a new install of Windows without reformatting...

Do the scans that I mentioned in my previous post.

MBAM
TDSSKiller
Panda Antirootkit

Back
Top Bottom