hardware technician

Status
Not open for further replies.

wafflehammer

Fully Optimized
could anyone give me any information about this job (hopefully if you do it,going to be, or just know a lot about it).

mainly looking at the type of job environment/dress code/that sort of thing

pros and cons

any other random information you would think is useful
bahhh i hate doing reports

EDIT: whoever moved this, thanks a lot...i was being stupid and not thinking :\

Moved to proper area.

The environment and dress code all depend on who you're working for. Most companies would require at least business casual unless you're working in computer sales.

Pros: You get to do your favourite thing and get paid pretty well for it.

Cons: Getting others to understand what you're doing and why you or they need to do it is pretty annoying.

And for most companies you will be doing a lot of reports.

Thanks a lot for the information. And thanks again for moving..totally forgot about this section..sorry for the wrong place.

well i wasn't going for actual job type stuff..just research information so i didn't think posting in the job forum.

i need 7 slides(powerpoint)... so far I have :

Job discription, education, salary, equipment, job environment, pros and cons.....

i need a 7th slide.got any recommendations? I think I might go with benefits...but i'm not sure.

could anyone give me any information about this job (hopefully if you do it,going to be, or just know a lot about it).

mainly looking at the type of job environment/dress code/that sort of thing

pros and cons

any other random information you would think is useful
bahhh i hate doing reports

EDIT: whoever moved this, thanks a lot...i was being stupid and not thinking :\

I am going to assume that this is any hardware tech that you would find in your local computer shop.

Pro :-
* You get the play with computer hardware all day. Really enjoyable if you like fault finding. And not stressful as it's not your computer equipment.

* You get the laugh at other end users mistakes behind thier backs.

* Not much training required. For most problems, you really need the most basic of PC fault finding skills. After that, it's all experience

Cons :-
* Don't expect a lot of pay. Hardware techs are dime a dozen. Unless the company you work for values experience, they can easily get in another tech.

* Don't expect a lot of money from repair jobs. With a new computer becoming as cheap as they are, people do complain when you charge too much.

* Unless servicing computer is a main profit centre for the company, if the company needs to down size, hardware techs are normally the first people to go.

Dress code is normally the smart or business causal. However you might want to have a collared shirt and tie for some clients. Especialy when meeting them for the first time.

People skills. About 10 years ago, you could get away with being a social retard. You can not going to get away with that now days.
Don't be surpised that you are going be getting stuck on the sales floor selling products when you have no computer that you are currently repairing.
Get used to people not understanding computer terms, however wanting to understand whys and hows. This is where I compair computers with cars.

Being a 'hardware technician' is part of my job, as well as user administration etc.
The hardware part is really easy. But like Keyboard Cowboy said, don't be surprised if you find yourself doing stuff other than just hardware repairs. Employers really expect you to be multi skilled these days.

And really, don't expect anything special in terms of pay. ESPECIALLY if you've got no previous experience in the workforce in the IT field. Knowing your stuff is what will keep you in the job, experience is a major factor in terms of pay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom