Guide to Opening the Xbox 360

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mnpctech

Daemon Poster
I'm slowly branching Mnpctech into game console modding. When I say slowly, I bought a 360 system when they first came out in 2005 with the intention of modding it. I have yet to buy a PS3. I didn't bother opening my 360 until Lian Li sent a sample of their new XB01 replacement case. This aluminum shell was created to solve the cooling issues with 360.

Before performing the transplant of the 360 guts to the XB01, I searched for tutorials on opening the 360 case. Microsoft made an effort to make opening it a pain. Inparticular, the tiny release tabs on the back. Everybody was poking a micro screw driver into it while prying it apart open with your other hand. I marred the plastic on my 360 pretty badly with the method. I've watched my painter Brad do the same thing too. Those of you who have opened one, you know what I mean. I know why the people on Youtube who make these tutorials don't show you the shell up close.

Anyhow, somebody either got this little tool design from the 360 factory or devised it on their own.
I spent this week experimenting with the "unlock tool" to discover the most efficiant steps in dismantling the 360. If we're gonna mod these, I need to dismantle them the quickest way possible without damaging them.

Turn the Xbox 360 upside down to remove the faceplate
openxbox360.unlock.tool.mnpctech1.jpg

Pry the faceplate off with both of your thumbs
openxbox360.unlock.tool.mnpctech2.jpg

openxbox360.unlock.tool.mnpctech3.jpg

For the next steps I'll be using the Xbox 360 Unlock Tool Kit

The bottom vent is held on with 6 plastic release tabs, 3 on each side.
openxbox360.unlock.tool.mnpctech4.jpg

openxbox360.unlock.tool.mnpctech5.jpg

Gently pull the vent back as you push in the plastic tabs with the point of the unlock tool
openxbox360.unlock.tool.mnpctech6.jpg

Rotate the Xbox 360 so the unit sits upright (hard drive up)

You must remove this rubber foot to access this plastic release tab
openxbox360.unlock.tool.mnpctech7.jpg

Insert the 360 unlock tool into the square opening (chose either left & right side) in the top vent to access the plastic release tab and pull the vent upward.
openxbox360.unlock.tool.mnpctech8.jpg

Release the middle tab by pushing it with the Unlock Tool. You may have to push the tabs on both sides.
openxbox360.unlock.tool.mnpctech9a.jpg

openxbox360.unlock.tool.mnpctech9.jpg

openxbox360.unlock.tool.mnpctech9b.jpg

The back of the 360 is where the unlock tool really helps open it's shell.

It works with both A/V & HDMI versions of the Xbox 360
openxbox360.unlock.tool.mnpctech9c.jpg

Like a key, match the unlock tool's 5 pins to the 5 release tabs in the back, then push in the tabs
openxbox360.unlock.tool.mnpctech9d.jpg

openxbox360.unlock.tool.mnpctech9e.jpg

Keep the shell spread open with one hand, while you release the 2 release tabs on the other side.
openxbox360.unlock.tool.mnpctech9f.jpg

Like a key, match the unlock tool's 2 pins to the 2 release tabs. You should now have the rear of the shell open.
openxbox360.unlock.tool.mnpctech9g.jpg

Once the rear is open, looking at the front, starting at the Eject button, there is 4 release tabs
openxbox360.unlock.tool.mnpctech9h.jpg

You can use the corner of the unlock tool to pry open the release tabs
openxbox360.unlock.tool.mnpctech9i.jpg

openxbox360.unlock.tool.mnpctech9j.jpg

openxbox360.unlock.tool.mnpctech9k.jpg

6x size 10 torx screws hold on the top of the 360 shell. Use the T10 side of the Torx wrench to remove these screws
openxbox360.unlock.tool.mnpctech9l.jpg

If you don't have the case opening tool and don't want to pay for it, wait for it, etc. you can just use a tiny flat-head screwdriver. It isn't as clean and you might scratch up the back a little but it works fine. For the front latches you can easily open them with your fingers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom