group policies

Status
Not open for further replies.

g2k556

In Runtime
Hi, i recently built myself a computer. I have it in my room and we now have a 3 computer network. I have files on our family computer that i want to access from my computer. when i click on upstairs (the family computer) it says access is denied. so i did some research and i read something about group policies (gpedit.msc) it works on my computer, but i want to open on the family, but when i go start>run>gpedit.msc it says it can't find it. so is there any other way to figure out whats wrong?

What OS is on all the computers? Do you have a firewall installed? User accounts and passwords match?

xp pro on mine and i think home on the family. firewalls are disabled for this. and i'm not sure what accounts/passwords you're talkin' about. when i click on the icon for the family computer, i get this message.

untitled.jpg

easy way is run the network setup wizard on all 3 making sure the workgroup is the same then right click and share out the folders. and configure any software firewalls you use

there are no GP's in a network if Active Directory is not present
XP home cannot be added to a domain period, therefore, group policies are non-existent.

only local policies can be edited with a network that does not run Active Directory, which is probably (just guessing) 98% of home networks.

however, this sounds like a file permissions problem

whatever folder you have shared out, make sure that "everyone" has full control
or
you can do a UNC path
start/run
\\computer name\folder shared
if it asks you for a name and pass just use the local administrator account of the computer you are connecting to

as well, make sure all computers are on the name network (usually WORKGROUP or MSHOME)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom