Grandma's Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jethro690

Solid State Member
Hi. My grandma just got a computer from my uncle. Automatic updates were turned on but not in services.msc, so I turned that on. Tried to update and I got this:

Update for Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) 2.0 and WinHTTP 5.1 (KB842773)
Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool (KB892130)

or more to the point I couldn't update/install those. It didn't say it was because services were turned off, so I don't know what's the matter that it won't update. It's Windows XP Professional, and I don't think it has service pack 2 or 3 even because I tried to install a firewall for her and it said it would only do it if it was service pack 2 or better.

I don't know how to update this thing. Any help getting granny online and safe is much appreciated.

Jeff

btw no background intelligent transfer services service in services.msc. is that bad?

Chances are the version of XP is hacked. I get quite a few systems that have updates turned off because of that reason.

Let's try this first, did the computer come with a OS reinstall disc ?
I recommend reinstalling XP professional, in the meanwhile it's reinstalling.
Go to the web on another pc and download service pack 1,2,3. install each service one at a time and wait for the installation to finish.
Download Microsft security essentials for for XP, zonealarm free firewall 9.2.
Last download antimalwarre bytes.
Once you have everythingn downloaded and installed properly your grandmothers pc should run like new or better, depending on how old the pc is.

The reason why I don't recommend messing with a damaged and hacked up os there's no telling what kind of problems and damages have occured on xp when it was with somebody elses possesion and they can't explain what might have gone wrong.

Just do a clean install and start from the beginning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom