Google ChromeOS CR-48.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems more like a temporary thing in its current state. If it's starting to wear down on you, then it doesn't seem to have much of a huge purpose yet.

It seems more like a temporary thing in its current state. If it's starting to wear down on you, then it doesn't seem to have much of a huge purpose yet.

Of course it has a purpose. Just because it wears on me for lack of features doesn't mean it doesn't have a purpose. I used the iPad for 15 minutes before I grew braindead bored on the lack of what it can do, yet somehow people are still buying them. Their target audience makes sense for the projected price point and feature set.

Of course it has a purpose. Just because it wears on me for lack of features doesn't mean it doesn't have a purpose. I used the iPad for 15 minutes before I grew braindead bored on the lack of what it can do, yet somehow people are still buying them. Their target audience makes sense for the projected price point and feature set.

I mean in terms of general usage. ChromeOS right now is very minimal with the features that it brings to the table. It's hardly a replacement for a full-blown OS, even on a netbook. But I think it has great potential as a future contender. I guess "purpose" was the wrong word to use here.

I mean in terms of general usage. ChromeOS right now is very minimal with the features that it brings to the table. It's hardly a replacement for a full-blown OS, even on a netbook. But I think it has great potential as a future contender. I guess "purpose" was the wrong word to use here.

I agree. But what's the iPad's excuse? Somehow they're flying off the shelf, and I found ChromeOS to at least integrate better in a work environment.

ChromeOS is supposed to feel this way. It is a cloud based service. It has to run quickly and efficiently from a server to your machine. You wont get something like that with any other OS out there. Not even Android could run on a server to your machine flawlessly. There has to be this compromise. It isnt made for the home user who wants to have this feature set. It is made for the business person who travels a lot and wants access to their files everywhere they go. That is the the target audience. Not John Doe sitting in his parents basement who does nothing but play WoW all day.

So yeah of course it is lacking compared to a Full OS. Cause it isnt a full OS it is a Cloud OS. Try to check out Ubuntu 11.04 on their servers and imagine that trying to run on your machine 24/7. Do you even think that would work? I highly doubt it. I had trouble loading the page from within Ubuntu after installing it. That is on my 6Mbps line. Imagine trying to do that with just 3G speeds? It would never happen.

Your trying to compare ChromeOS to a full blown, full featured OS when it isnt. It isnt even a mobile OS. It is a Cloud Service. You got the wrong impression of what it is and are comparing it to other items which you shouldnt be. Just cause it is called ChromeOS doesnt mean that it fits into the same category as Windows, OS X or even Ubuntu.

ChromeOS is supposed to feel this way. It is a cloud based service. It has to run quickly and efficiently from a server to your machine. You wont get something like that with any other OS out there. Not even Android could run on a server to your machine flawlessly. There has to be this compromise. It isnt made for the home user who wants to have this feature set. It is made for the business person who travels a lot and wants access to their files everywhere they go. That is the the target audience. Not John Doe sitting in his parents basement who does nothing but play WoW all day.

So yeah of course it is lacking compared to a Full OS. Cause it isnt a full OS it is a Cloud OS. Try to check out Ubuntu 11.04 on their servers and imagine that trying to run on your machine 24/7. Do you even think that would work? I highly doubt it. I had trouble loading the page from within Ubuntu after installing it. That is on my 6Mbps line. Imagine trying to do that with just 3G speeds? It would never happen.

Your trying to compare ChromeOS to a full blown, full featured OS when it isnt. It isnt even a mobile OS. It is a Cloud Service. You got the wrong impression of what it is and are comparing it to other items which you shouldnt be. Just cause it is called ChromeOS doesnt mean that it fits into the same category as Windows, OS X or even Ubuntu.

I'm not trying to compare it to a full-blown OS like Ubuntu. It just feels like it's really stripped down. I'm all for minimalism, but ChromeOS is too extreme for me.

I'm a little confused by how you're referring to ChromeOS. ChromeOS is something that loads into RAM and actually resides on the hard drive. It's not a "cloud OS" like I had originally thought, as it does have local storage and does reference local files to keep the OS running. It draws locally instead of network based. Once it's up and running, then a lot of what you do calls to the web for functionality, with their apps being glorified http links. That said, I'm confused at the comparison of 11.04 in this regard.

It's an Apple product, need I say more?

Nope. Nothing more needs to be said. You nailed the punchline right there my friend.

I'm a little confused by how you're referring to ChromeOS. ChromeOS is something that loads into RAM and actually resides on the hard drive. It's not a "cloud OS" like I had originally thought, as it does have local storage and does reference local files to keep the OS running. It draws locally instead of network based. Once it's up and running, then a lot of what you do calls to the web for functionality, with their apps being glorified http links. That said, I'm confused at the comparison of 11.04 in this regard.

I think we're just debating over semantics now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom