Going on holiday, F@H

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yami

Lady Techie
I'm going on holiday to Scotland for a week or longer, and since I can't take my rig up with me, would it be safe at all to leave it folding for all that time, 24/7? I've never seen my GPU temps go above 65 (and I can stick the fan to 100% since noise won't be an issue).

Can anyone see any problems with that? There would still be someone at home who could shut down the machine if necessary.

I do.. I rasrely touch my folding on my main rig, and my dedicated doesn't even have a screen, keyboard or mouse. Access it via remote login.

What i have done is put the exes into the startup folder so as in a reboot, like update induced, they restart.

I'm going on holiday to Scotland for a week or longer, and since I can't take my rig up with me, would it be safe at all to leave it folding for all that time, 24/7? I've never seen my GPU temps go above 65 (and I can stick the fan to 100% since noise won't be an issue).

Can anyone see any problems with that? There would still be someone at home who could shut down the machine if necessary.

Dont leave on 100% fan.....
Crank up to like 70% max and then make sure there is a smoke detector nearby, so that if by some odd occurance something does go wrong at least someone will hear it.

What i have done is put the exes into the startup folder so as in a reboot, like update induced, they restart.

And do that ^.

My systems are always running F@H whether im home or not.

Mine are set up differently, im running dual ups systems so i just have mine to shut down after more than 5 minutes on battery power (usually when the power goes out, its for less than 5 minutes).

No extra steps are needed to keep things cool, just because you are not there doesnt mean temps will change.

Dont leave on 100% fan.....
Crank up to like 70% max and then make sure there is a smoke detector nearby, so that if by some odd occurance something does go wrong at least someone will hear it.

Why no more than 70%? Will it wear down the fan if it's higher?
And there's a smoke alarm right outside my room :)

One partially related question; is there any way to set F@H to start when my screensaver turns on? Often I neglect to turn it on before going somewhere for several hours (or even a day).

No way to go on screensaver, but why not just run them all the time?

I do, and just pause while gaming. With aero, I get 0 - zero lag and don't even notice the cpu on my lappy even while gaming.

No way to go on screensaver, but why not just run them all the time?

I do, and just pause while gaming. With aero, I get 0 - zero lag and don't even notice the cpu on my lappy even while gaming.

I do normally have it on (I have it on now), but sometimes I forget to turn it on after games and such.

Why no more than 70%? Will it wear down the fan if it's higher?
And there's a smoke alarm right outside my room :)

One partially related question; is there any way to set F@H to start when my screensaver turns on? Often I neglect to turn it on before going somewhere for several hours (or even a day).

Well im just saying, my GTX260 fans sound like death at 100% fan speed. The amount of cooling capacity your going to get from that slight increase in fan speed to the 100% mark will be minimal....

And with the fans spinning at 100% for a week straight i dunno.... but thats just paranoid me.

Well im just saying, my GTX260 fans sound like death at 100% fan speed. The amount of cooling capacity your going to get from that slight increase in fan speed to the 100% mark will be minimal....

Ah, that makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom