Ghetto-rig surround sound

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaosbubba

Beta member
Ok, i am a person that likes to mess with stuff, mix and match and see what cool things i can get to work, but for this i am stumped. Me and my room mate want to try and setup a surround sound system for his computer using stereo speakers. We tried cutting and stripping computer speakers and wire twisting them with the stereo speakers to no avail. Is there any way to wire twist stereo speakers in with a computer plug-in and get it to work? Or how could we do this?

Not sure. Real stereo speakers have the positive and negative wiring, whereas computer speakers just use those RCA-looking jacks. If I could guess, I dont think it will work. Even if it can work, it seems like too much trouble.

preamp to speaker wire = no sound. headphone output to speaker = blown card. hook it up to a receiver

hey Chaosbubba... i like your style, i have a system you might want to try.

you can get wall plug powered puter speakers at GoodWill/salvation Army for around $3-$6...

and you can get RCA splitters and male/female RCA plugs, 2 to a package, to attach to wire to make custom extensions at Radio shack or electronics stores.

you can make 'Directional Resonators' out of plastic 5 gal buckets, tweeters out of 1 gal plastic paint buckets/2 gal mid range from Home Depot/Lowe's paint dept.

you can take the speakers out of the units and Epoxy them in the bottom of the buckets. you can get new speaker that ohm/volt rating really cheap. the computer speaker units have a 110 ac Volt plug, it goes to a 6/12 volt transformer.. run the 12 volt Wires "only" up to the bucket speakers.. safer, i use Door bell wire, i have a big roll i use for Crystal Radio coils/antennas. you'll need to get a spool of wire at Radioshack or auto parts store, same size as whats in the speaker unit

here is how it works.. aim the buckets to where you will be listening.. run the wire around the base board.. run one stereo/quad each direction and run a wire up the wall to each speaker. the buckets can be painted/decorated, and aimed by using 2 attachments made of small dia. fly fishing leader attached to cup hooks or small eye bolts from the hardware section at Lowe's in the 88 cent single packaged section, they have some smaller ones with longer shanks that'd work in sheet-rock.. longer in front shorter in back..

if you are in an apartment, being they are directional to a point and not resonating to the floor, it'd be quieter on the neighbors

back when the little 9 volt AM hand held radios came out, and Stereo Phonographs were just out.. and expensive... i put a little tinny sounding AM radio in each of 2 gallon buckets and had "Sterio"..!! the resonation in the bucket brought out the base notes really well. i actually had a 'Boze' set up in 1964, best sounding rig of anyone i knew.

let me know whst you think.. about my 1964 Boze rig Ghetto system...

good luck/keep hav'n fun ..1hanclpn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom