Getting back online after a reinstall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gr8 Justafa

Beta member
Hello,

I just recently reinstalled a 5 year old laptop after receiving a very nasty virus. I'm almost hesitant to do this because I've never seen a computer run so fast...but I have to get online.

Getting online. That's my problem. Now, I plug in the ethernet cable but I don't see anything in "Network Connections" or "My Network Places". What exactly do I need to do to get hooked back up to my network at home? Is there a driver I need to install? Did my ISP install something on my laptop that was erased after the reinstall?

Forgive my ignorance, I don't have to reinstall that much...and whenever I needed to get connected I let the cable internet guy do it.

You can go onto the laptop manufacturer's website, and look for a driver there. Is it recognized in the device manager?

You'll need the correct driver for your network card. What manufacturer made your PC, and does it use an external (PCMCIA or USB) network card? If it uses an external card, who made the card? Go to the PC or card manufacturer's website, look up the model number, and download the appropriate drivers.

Thank you for the replies. So what I'm looking for is a network card...that should help me immensely.

I believe it is internal. I actually think I still have the original drivers discs that came with the reinstall CD. I will look for a network card on there.

I'll keep you updated. Hopefully I can get it back online today, but I have a lot to do. I'm going out of town next week on business.

I think you good people are my only chance to get back online. I don't know too many people good with computers, or who understand what they should do with them when such problems arise. Me included.

Edit:
PS- It's a Dell Ispiron 1100

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom