Gaming Proformance on HDs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like chris said, the only 'performance' gain you'd notice from a 10K RPM drive is the fact the game would up and running within seconds, assuming you have also 1gb of RAM. With 512mb loading can be cut a little and on real intensive games choppiness can occur. With 1gb though that smoothes everything like butta....1gb of RAM and a 10K RPM drive = fast load times, fast level load times...you wouldn't see more FPS though

senseless said:
If you have 2gb of ram, your video game should be able to load itself entirely into memory(you'll notice a difference then). Running your programs off of a raptor is only going to make them load 1s quicker. The difference is roughly 10-20mb/s. Ide drives usually get 48-52mb/s, Satas (believe it or not, ive got the benchmarks to back it up) are actually SLOWER in a single drive configuration than ide drives. You'll get like 45mb/s off a standard 7200rpm 8mb cache sata drive. Once you pair them in raid 0 you'll get like 70-80mbs. Raptors are quicker, running at 60-70mb/s as individual drives. But their price makes them an ineffective os drive. I have 1gb of ram in my system, games like HL2, starwars galaxies, and counterstrike never have to load anything off my drives. Besides of course, the initial load into memory.

my suggestion, dont waste your money. Get an 80gb ide 7200rpm 8mb cache drive for your OS and games/programs.

Well I'll need more then 80 Gig... I'm using like 400 Gig right now and I'll only need more as games get larger. But thanks for the help :)

Thats why you get seperate drives for your data. That way you can do smart things like make images of your OS drive. So when something crashes you have an image file to restore from. The 300gb 7200rpm 16mb cache maxtor drive would be a good OS drive.

It takes 80gb worth of data, and compresses it to a 5gb file image. You can copy the file onto dvd, or whatever. If your windows installation goes poop. You stick your cd in, load ghost.exe from a dos prompt. Overwrite your OS drive with the data contained on the image file. Boom, you're back up in less than 5 mins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom