From Ethernet To Wireless

KyleX63

Beta member
So I have a laptop on my desk next to my Xbox. When I'm not using the Xbox I turn my wireless off and plug in my ethernet cord from my Xbox. The problem is my new router doesn't seem to handle this well. After switching back to wireless my download and upload speeds get very low. I look at my routers DHCP Reservation and it still list my laptop as LAN instead of Wireless. Even after restarting my laptop it list my MAC Address as a LAN. The only solution I've come up with so far is system restore and that breaks everything so I don't want to keep doing that. Any help, thanks. (Not sure if my specs are very important to this)

What I've Tried:
Disconnecting/Reconnecting
Network Auto-Repair
Disable Local Area Connection
Power-Cycle
IP Release/Renew

Last edited:
What do you mean by speeds being very low? What router do you have? Most routers have at a min 100mbps wired output and if it also has wireless it will be at 54mbps.

Try this, with the cable connected to the lap top, do a power cycle of the router and after it reboots, connect the cable to the computer and disable the wireless, then go to start>run>type in cmd then enter.

This gives you a DOS prompt. Type: ipconfig /all then enter. Then type ipconfig /renew, then enter.

This removes the IP from you computer and then gives you a new one.

Now you should have a new IP and be able to get online.

Now connect another cable to your Xbox, and let it do its network setup.

If your router does not have two wired connections,then either get a switch or contunine to do what you have been doing.

When I plug in my Ethernet to my laptop for the first time it is perfect and fine, 30Mbps Down 10Mbps Up. After I take my Ethernet out and switch back on wireless it messes up my wireless speeds. They go from 20Mbps Down to 6Mbps Down and not stable at all. The upload is just a disaster and hardly works. If I then go to plug in the Ethernet in again to get high speeds those also are low like my settings got messed up somehow. I already have been able to renew my ip, I guess my laptop still thinks its a LAN.

I guess I am still confused why you keep changing back and forth. Connect it one way or the other and leave it alone.

In all the years I have been working with wireless and master networks I have never run across the problem you are describing.

What kind of router are you using? Do a master reset (small button on back), of the router.

The only setting that you need to make in the router is your password for wireless access

Connect TWO either lines to the router, one to the computer one to the xbox.

Turn off wireless in the computer.

Back
Top Bottom