FreeNAS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A quick Google search of that error shows it's a problem with the config file, however there's about 70 solutions which can resolve it and I have -no- idea which one would apply to you.

I backed up in the thread a few posts and saw you say that you "copied the same settings" from one Ubuntu system to another. What exactly did you copy? Did you copy the smb.conf file?

If it were ME in your shoes... I would go to /etc/samba and copy the smb.conf and save it in your home directory, just for safe keeping. Then I'd go to Synaptic, scan for Samba, and do a complete removal of it. Verify that your smb.conf is gone in /etc/samba. If not, delete it via root nautilus by going ALT + F2 = "gksudo nautilus" - but be careful, don't delete random chiz. :p

Then reinstall Samba and set up your shares as normal from ground up.

Samba can be a real brat. I personally find Samba to be easy to deal with, but I'm also keeping backups of my smb.conf that previously worked when I make changes. However like anything else, you get that wrong character in the config file and you're in for it. Speaking of which, have YOU ever manually edited the smb.conf file, or did you entirely customize it from the system-config-samba GUI utility?

Also - just for the record - has the computer been restarted? I used to know the command to disable/enable the Samba server process but I can't recall it now. Rebooting would take care of that, though.

I copied it, in that, I manually went through all the settings in samba, network options, etc. and saw if mine matched. And it did.

I'll try that, save SMB.conf and remove samba. Am I removing Samba and system-config-samba, or do those two go together?

I did mess with smb.conf, following some guides. shouldve saved the original samba first ;)

Yeah, I restarted quite a few times.

Edit: OK, after moving and deleting samba and smb.conf, then reinstall Samba, there is no new smb.conf file, thus, Samba will not run.

I copied it, in that, I manually went through all the settings in samba, network options, etc. and saw if mine matched. And it did.

I'll try that, save SMB.conf and remove samba. Am I removing Samba and system-config-samba, or do those two go together?

I did mess with smb.conf, following some guides. shouldve saved the original samba first ;)

Yeah, I restarted quite a few times.

Edit: OK, after moving and deleting samba and smb.conf, then reinstall Samba, there is no new smb.conf file, thus, Samba will not run.

System-config-samba and Samba are independent from one another. They have no relationship besides the fact system-config-samba is a GUI utility which points to the smb.conf when you edit anything.

Removing "Samba" from Synaptic and re-installing should have brought back a new smb.conf.

If you want, you could always put your smb.conf back, but put the contents from this smb.conf back into your smb.conf file. The contents here were taken from my default install of Ubuntu 10.10 in my VM.

# # Sample configuration file - Roasted - Sp9rDuV5 - Pastebin.com

Just make sure the smb.conf has read perms for group and all others.

OK, I did:

sudo apt-get purge samba-common

That got rid of samba, period.

sudo apt-get install samba system-config-samba

Now got a smb.conf. Let's see how this goes.

Edit: Shared a home folder, read/write, visible, Allow access to everyone. Nope.

OK, I did:

sudo apt-get purge samba-common

That got rid of samba, period.

sudo apt-get install samba system-config-samba

Now got a smb.conf. Let's see how this goes.

Edit: Shared a home folder, read/write, visible, Allow access to everyone. Nope.

Out of curiosity, what are the permissions of the actual folder you shared out?

OK, this might shock y'all. The UNC name was too long. After it was shortened, it shows up fine.

Thanks for all the help Jayce, and SOUL.

yes, the name of the Ubuntu server was too long. My friend who works at a college, works with all OSes, asked me several questions, and came upon "whatis your username@system:~$" It was over 15 characters long, he told me that was the problem. he told me how to change the name, therefore it was fixed after a restart.

yes, the name of the Ubuntu server was too long. My friend who works at a college, works with all OSes, asked me several questions, and came upon "whatis your username@system:~$" It was over 15 characters long, he told me that was the problem. he told me how to change the name, therefore it was fixed after a restart.

Well ****, good call! That's not something I suspected at all, but I definitely see how that caused the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom