FreeBSD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just show me what I have to do, and I'll do it. These big long guides means nothing to me. No more than what it does.

When you want to access a headless machine, you do so over the network, this requires two components:
1) a server, in this case sshd and
2) a client, in this case ssh

Most Linux and BSD distributions have both of these out of the box but Windows (to my knowledge) does not. The sshd server needs to be installed and running on the FreeBSD box, check that this is the case using the command ps. The options you must use for ps will be given in the manual (`man ps`). You can test that the server is working how you want it by accessing it "locally" from the FreeBSD box (`ssh 127.0.0.1`).
If you can access it locally you should try remotely, if this is from a linux/BSD machine you can use `ssh x.x.x.x` where x.x.x.x is the IP of the FreeBSD box (if you don't know the IP of the FreeBSD box you can find it out locally with ifconfig). If the client machine is Windows, you will not have the ssh tools available out of the box and you will have to install them, I recommend putty.

Hopefully that will get you started, post back if you have any questions.

I got an error after I installed it on my pen drive, and rebooted with it. Removed the CD.

Code:
mount root> uhid0: <logitech HID complient keyboard, class 0/0, rev 1.10/1.80, dr27 on usbus0
Panic: Root mount failed, startup aborted.
cpuid = 0
Uptime: 20s
Cannot dump. Device not defined or unavailable
Automatic reboot in 15 seconds - press a key on the console to abort

That must be a problem with the keyboard, yes? Worked fine during setup, even at the boot menu. :umm:

So to find out, I worked fine without the KB plugged in, it works fine... I'll have to find another keyboard around here.

Edit: I tried another keyboard, worked fine, then I get this:

IMG_0062.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom