Following my dreams

Lalien

Solid State Member
For the longest time I have been a sucker for computers. I love the software, the hardware. I like looking at parts and fantasizing about having them in my computer and getting into arguments about which one was better. I used to fix computers for my friends and family, along with some other technical stuff.

I had the knowledge, but not as much as some other people. And I'm comfortable with my knowledge at the moment.

However, one day I got discouraged and found a new dream. A safer dream. Hospitality and Resort Management. The prestige in it is high and the jobs are plentiful. But I just wondered... "would I be happy? would I like it?" So I decided to get a job at a restaurant and I must say, people totally suck. They're nasty and they expect you to wipe their ass. And I guess that's what Hospitality is like. Maybe I'm just not cut out for it. I just can't imagine myself doing it every single day of my life. I had this hospitality dream for about a year and now it's dead.

So now I'm back to computers. I got A's in both of my programming classes. I've been around computers my whole life. Technology intrigues me to no end. So why not? What's the hold up? I've sat in front of a computer my whole life. While everybody was out getting partying and getting laid, I would be the one that would be taking apart my computer out of curiosity.

I just wonder what part of computers I could do. HTML/Javascript Programming was really fun, but I'm not sure if I can stuff this much knowledge into my head in such a short amount of time. I also heard this saying, "the kids who stayed and programmed minesweeper games while all of the other kids were out playing soccer are the programmers of tomorrow."

I could be a salesman or a repairman. I could open up my own custom building computer business. It would be awesome. I am so overwhelmed with opportunity. Let's be honest, in this economy you have to have a skill where you can directly apply yourself to be successful. We can't expect ourselves to get a degree and then have everything fall in place for us.

Where should I start? Which programming language? What should I learn? I wish I would have realized this sooner. Maybe I really can do something great. I will be going to school for this at the University of North Texas. It's not exactly elite. But I will get my foundations.

I want specifics, like degrees, certifications and what not. I really think I can do this.

Let me first start off by saying - people suck period. Seriously they do. This is no different in the IT world as in Hospitality, Management, Marketing, HR, etc. People can be rude and obnoxious in any industry. Do you think IT is any different? At least at the ground level you will be dealing with end users, which some of them are going to be difficult to work with - almost impossible.

My point being - if you are leaving your current job because you just found out people suck, i hate to say it but most other fields you are going to be just as unhappy.

The only exceptions being if you get into a field where you don't interact with end users like Programming. So if you plan on programming great, if you want to do any other function in IT you are going to start at the bottom - which means dealing with end users.

If you pursue programming you really need to go to college. A 4 year school is best because they will teach you the in's and outs of programming, not just in Java, C++, JV, but programming as a whole, as a construct and how to properly design and implement a program from conception to implementation. Just my two cents.

I've realized that. And of course I'm going to have to interract with people at some point. I'm not just some sort of guy who has 0 social skills. It's just the whole thing about cleaning up after people and catering to their every need that gets me. I can take yelling customers, but at the end of the day. I want to be doing something that I love doing. In every single job, there's going to be things that you hate. But you already knew that.

I'm going to get A+ certified and get a Computer Science Degree up in North Texas. I'm also going to form some alliances and pick up some skills there as well.

Sounds like a solid plan - are you set on programming or you just want to get into IT in general?

If you aren't dead-set on programming i would definitely say get your feet wet in a bit of everything while in school to see what you like. Find out specifically what you like and you can't go wrong honestly. IT is a broad field, don't pigeon hole yourself early on and study / touch on different aspects of IT until you find something you really like. Heck then after a few years you can transition to another similar field in IT if you like. I started off programming in college, ended up wanting to do hardware, then wanted to get in server management.

I just want to be in the IT field in general. Technology is one of the only things that excites me these days.

How is programming? The working conditions? The stress? The environment? Just the lifestyle in general. I have a cousin who does coding for banks. Makes 70k a year. It's amazing. But I'm not worried about the money that much. As long as I can be stable.

Those questions depend on the company, environment and industry.

If you aren't sure about IT all together and what area you want to focus on (because there are dozens) i would suggest going to college, getting your degree in information technology and that will give you the opportunity to touch all sorts of technology from hardware, server, linux, programming, ect.

Back
Top Bottom