First Self-Built Gaming Rig

Ludford

Beta member
I have recently finished deciding the components of my first self-built pc, I will be using it for gaming and might do some slight overclocking, but nothing major. Here is my build, any comments or advice is appreciated.

Processor: Intel Core i5-4570
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87P-D3
Graphics Card: Asus Geforce 660 Ti 2GB DirectCU II OC (GTX660 Ti-DC2O-2GD5)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 Plus
Ram: Corsair XMS3 Vengeance 8GB DDR3 PC3-12800 1600MHz (2x4gb)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
Hard Drive: WD Blue 1TB SATA III (7200 RPM/64mb Cache)
SSD: Kingston 60GB SSDNow V300 SATA3 2.5''
Optical Drive: Asus DVD+RW SATA

For my PSU, I'm thinking of using the FSP PowerSupply FSP650-80EGN with 650W. I don't know if that is a correct one, so any advice will be helpful.

I haven't purchased the components yet, but this is what I'm planning so far, I will buy them tomorrow, so tell me quickly if I'm making any major mistakes.
Thanks

2 things, the 4570 isn't a K CPU so it won't overclock, and with that you don't need a more expensive Z87 board. Will elaborate more later.

Typically for the same money you can have a GTX760 which is better than a 660ti. On that note, don't get a DCU2 card. The weight of the heatsinks cause the cards to sag which will damage a PCB over time.

The 212 isn't necessary for a non-overclocking chip, and these chips are quick enough they don't need to be OCd for a long while. Just wait until it's needed to OC to get aftermarket cooling because new things come out and prices go down on better options.

Swap the brand of the SSD to a Corsair, Samsung, Intel, or Crucial.

Your PSU should be fine, as FSP OEMs quite a bit of units. Take into consideration that the capacitors are not of very good quality in that unit.

Back to the board and chip. If you decide to go with a 4670k instead to OC, consider a B85 board like an ASRock because you can OC K series CPUs on those for this generation. If you replace the Z87 board with a B85 and ditch the aftermarket cooling you should have enough cash to get a 120GB quality SSD.

Thank you for your answer! Taking basis on what you said, I think I will give up on OCing the cpu and follow your advice by swapping the motherboard and instead upgrading the gpu.

Is there another kind of PSU that I might want to look into? My only requirement is that it has enough power to SLI another GPU some time in the future. Could you recommend a better product?

For my motherboard I might use the Gigabyte GA-B85-HD3 instead.

Are you sure that I won't need a cpu cooler if I am not overclocking?

Last edited:
You're better off with a single GPU solution always unless you're going for crazy resolution stuff like Surround. That being said, a good PSU is the Corsair TX650 or Seasonic 620w. Although, the TX650 will run a GTX690 by itself, I wouldn't put 2 770s on it or anything like that. Smaller dual GPUs would be fine but a good single GPU is always better.

No you don't need any aftermarket cooling for a stock CPU that can't OC. The only reason you should need one is if you live in a very hot area, but I can't imagine Sweden getting that hot lol.

Well, actually I live in Brasil, so perhaps I should invest in a cooler. As for PSU I decided to switch to the Corsair TX650 even though it is more expensive than the FSP one.

If you feel you must, by all means. I wouldn't tell you it would be fine it isn't going to be fine. The CPUs and coolers are designed for all ambients besides maybe open desert. If your ambient temp is that hot, then an AC investment might be a better choice than a gaming PC :p

You pay for quality, which is most important in your PSU for several reasons.

Ehh, I guess I'll skip the cooler then, If I really need it I can buy it later. I guess my rig is finished now, thanks a lot for your help!

That's what I was saying. Plus, if you have more money to spend you can get an H80i which would be a better overall purchase in cooling.
Enjoy your rig.

my DCU2 GTX 660 isn't heavy at all.
your statement of them being heavy may be true for the triple-slotted fermi GPUs, but I am not sure if it stands true for these dual-slotted kepler cards.

my DCU2 GTX 660 isn't heavy at all.
your statement of them being heavy may be true for the triple-slotted fermi GPUs, but I am not sure if it stands true for these dual-slotted kepler cards.
A friend I talk to on an everyday basis has a DCU2 670 which sags. It isn't whether it's very heavy or not, it's a case of not having that steel plate to keep the board straight like reference cards have. My Asus TOP 5850 isn't heavy at all either but it sags slightly as well. I'd say the heatsink on that thing is even lighter than my mouse.

I asked for a pic, got crappy cellphone pic. Oh well, can still see it. This was after only having the card for a week.

54192_10151111024326924_329403681_o.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom