First City To Be (Wi-Fied) Attention Plzzz

Status
Not open for further replies.

little_emmynem

In Runtime
Pune will be the first city to be wireless networked
It will be hosted by Pune Municipal Corporation and Supported and serviced by Intel Corporation
They said that Internet Wi-Fi charges will be affordable to common man and very low
At the core of the city the internet speed will be about 2 MBPS, Outer little - 768 KBPS , third layer - 512 KBPS, Fourth - 384 KBPS At The End Of The City - 256 KBPS

From now....upto three months...it is ABSOLUTELY free of charge. However charges may be levied after three months after the renewal. Many people are seen in the core areas of the City like J.m.Road.

plz keep this thread alive so that everyone may know the first city to be Wi-Fi ed .... it will be a history

plz post u r comments and Pros And Cons

I don't think it's the first city to do this, exactly...many have already got a large part of the city covered...and somewhere else has I read about, Washington or something, has a large wi-fi network spanning across several hundred miles (not many obstructions there, obviously).

What I'm curious of, is, in the case of those large networks...it's obvious how you'd receive a signal...but how would people's devices be able to send signals back? Ports all over the Wi-fi area or what!

...last comment: free for three months?! If theye charge, they're crazy. Too many places provide it free already, at least here in Tucson, AZ! ...and it's only becoming more and more common.

little_emmynem said:
Pune will be the first city to be wireless networked....
What's the definition of a "wireless city"? Because I can think of quite a few that have wireless public networks in place.

BTW, you might want to read the forum rules regarding sigs, before a mod gives you the boot.

Re: Re: First City To Be (Wi-Fied) Attention Plzzz

little_emmynem Your sig is too big. Please read the rules

ShoobieRat said:
What's the definition of a "wireless city"? Because I can think of quite a few that have wireless public networks in place.

BTW, you might want to read the forum rules regarding sigs, before a mod gives you the boot.

Access points will be all over the city under 1 SSID. When you move about, the wiressless receiver will bounce to the best signal access point so it will appear to be 1 giant wireless area.

Re: Re: Re: First City To Be (Wi-Fied) Attention Plzzz

SHAWN said:
Access points will be all over the city under 1 SSID. When you move about, the wiressless receiver will bounce to the best signal access point so it will appear to be 1 giant wireless area.
That's what I thought. So in that case, why is this city "the first?"

You need to define the kind of network...almost every large city I can think of has had a wireless accessible network but not free or on 802.11abg standards.

Yeah, this won't be the first city... I read about some city in Minnesota or Montana that was setting up a completly FREE wireless network months ago... There is a town in the Chicago Suburbs that is setting up a city-wide Wi-Fi network.

Pittsburgh has had free wireless hotspots for nearly 2 years.

This is either a case of someone getting excited over very outdated news that isn't correct to begin with...or he's actually talking about Pune India...in which case it may be the first city in India to be wireless. At that, I'm not sure whether to be happy for them...or to shake my head. Sounds to me like an Intel outsourcing publicity stunt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom