Firewatch - Watching Fires

lastplace09

Fully Optimized
NO SPOILERS BELOW!! :)

I got Firewatch last night because I've been amped about this game since the developers first mentioned it on their podcast.

I'd like to share with you my impressions for the PS4 version of this game.

I'm just about done with the game even having just got it last night.

Here are my thoughts in no particular order:

1. It's short, but it has a very dense and detailed story.

2. It does have some performance issues. There are screen stutters, but no more than any other game like this. It hung up once on a loading screen at a critical moment that ripped me out of the immersion. Was bummed.

3. It's beautiful!!!! I can't say enough about the artwork.

4. It's incredibly immersive, especially with headphones. (minus that one moment I locked up)

5. The sound design is awesome. The birds on the lake...the rustling of the trees...so good.

6. There are moments that are so bittersweet and subtle, I lost myself a few times. It throws you into the deep end right from the start with this.

7. The trophy list is crap, but the devs wanted the player to make up their own ways through the world. They said there are a ton of side 'games' you can play that have nothing to do with the story. They wanted the players to discover these things without the trophies making you feel like you had to. (I don't agree with this, but I appreciate the thought)

8. In my opinion, this is best played by yourself with no distractions.

9. The price was a bit high, but I don't regret getting it on day 1. I like being able to support these developers.

Overall, I give this 4/5 camp fires.

The guys at Campo Santo did a great job and I can't wait to play more of their games.

Thought about picking this up but was unsure. Read the PC Gamer review and he loved it up until the ending (didn't give any spoilers) - he felt it ended too soon and/or the story didn't tie back to the main character well enough. I may pick it up on a sale; not in a huge hurry to get it or anything.

Its a damn immersive game. Loving it so far. I didnt do any reading or preemptive research - i just dove right in. At first i was worried it was all text-based, but it quickly got wind under its wings and took off with a unique sense of adventure and mystery. So far im 8.5/10

I really don't think there will be DLC based on the ending and the group of people that developed this.

I finished this up this weekend. I really liked it a lot. The trekking back and forth was sort of getting old toward the end of it, but it was still great. I am not sure why the ending would lead you to think that there couldn't be DLC for this. Not sure what you meant about the developers.

I finished this up this weekend. I really liked it a lot. The trekking back and forth was sort of getting old toward the end of it, but it was still great. I am not sure why the ending would lead you to think that there couldn't be DLC for this. Not sure what you meant about the developers.

I mostly think that DLC isn't In Campo Santo's DNA.

After frequenting their podcast and listening to many Firewatch interviews, I've come to the conclusion that they are artsy and hipster-y developers.

They are on record as saying they didn't do trophies because they didn't want to make the player assume it had to be played a certain way. If that isn't artsy and hipster-y, I don't know what is.

Also, Firewatch is a single story, in a single world and although the game is only a few hours. It is a mystery that has to be solved. The mystery is solved at the end.

The only thing that's left open is the (trying not to spoil it here) thing the developers have also been on record as saying..."sometimes that's the way life goes..." It is supposed to be open ended.

They have also said that they hoped players would find their own stories in the world.

There are multiple places to visit that have nothing to do with the story and the player wouldn't go near if they just played the story. The game is already robust as is, if you play it different ways.

I seriously don't think they would have added all that side stuff if they had intended on releasing DLC.

Then again--I could be completely wrong. ;-)

Back
Top Bottom