Firefox 4 Beta 7: Faster than 3.6, but not 5x faster

Status
Not open for further replies.

KSoD

Call me Mak or K, Mod Emeritus
Yesterday, after several weeks of delay due to continued heavy crash counts, Mozilla released public beta 7 of its Firefox 4 browser, with at least three more public beta cycles planned before the end of the year. Beta 7 is the first public release to contain the device Mozilla calls JaegerMonkey, which hybridizes the optimized TraceMonkey engine introduced in Firefox 3.5 with a new just-in-time native code compiler.

The organization touted Beta 7 as being three to five times faster than the stable Firefox 3.6.12 in executing well-known benchmark suites, including the organization's new Kraken suite, and Google's V8 test battery. In a newly revised series of tests conducted this morning by Ingenus LLC, there were limited instances of 300% acceleration, but not across the board. Firefox 4 Beta 7 posted speed scores that were 2.38 times those of Firefox 3.6.12 overall.

Source

3 to 5 times faster when the planets are correctly placed BUT I still can't wait to see this final product. Now I hope this version is a little more Silverlight friendly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom