Fear Is Manufactured

Status
Not open for further replies.
because the word n!gger is a derogatory term originally used by white to dehumanize blacks.... its kinda like why fat people can call each other fat but get offended when someone else calls them fat

Stereo Typing via the Media

Like for some strange reason (most likely Michael Jackson and South Park), any one that is Male, Single, Extremely Mild Manner and likes hanging around kids seems to be feared of being a pedophile.
The above description describes a few long time scout leaders that i know.

I've watched Cops dozens of times, and black people are in no way misrepresented.
Hope that's sarcasm.

because the word n!gger is a derogatory term originally used by white to dehumanize blacks.... its kinda like why fat people can call each other fat but get offended when someone else calls them fat
No.....if it's such a derogatory term, then it needs to simply be eradicated altogether. None of this "I get to say it cause I'm black" kind of crap. That just causes further segregation. Just like the BSU and junk like that.

Hope that's sarcasm.

Are you kidding? If you go to a large city, and look up the statistics, the show is in no way misrepresenting the local criminal activity. They're not going to show you the meth dealer out in the boondocks getting busted because they aren't going to follow around Pleasant Hill cops for 2 months for one 2 minute clip of a guy getting busted. They go to the city where they can get bust after bust.

Oh, and as far as the word n!gger, it applied to any old bum back in the late 19th century and early 20th century. It reffered to people that either were unemployed, or had crappy jobs, and low moral standards... It slowly evolved into a racist term, but didn't start out that way.

Ryan

Nubius said:
No.....if it's such a derogatory term, then it needs to simply be eradicated altogether. None of this "I get to say it cause I'm black" kind of crap. That just causes further segregation. Just like the BSU and junk like that.

Just because the word should be eradicated, doesn't mean what I said is incorrect. I'm just telling it how it is, and you need to understand that. The word needs to be eradicated, I agree...but it won't be.

FghtinIrshNvrDi said:
Oh, and as far as the word n!gger, it applied to any old bum back in the late 19th century and early 20th century. It reffered to people that either were unemployed, or had crappy jobs, and low moral standards... It slowly evolved into a racist term, but didn't start out that way.

Ryan

No way dude. It was never used towards anyone but black people. It came from the word "negro" which obviously means black and began use when the African slave trade began. It didn't start out deragatory, no, but it is now and has been for a long long time.

very true. if we didn't categorize, we'd have to relearn everything all the time, even if it was very similar to something we already knew

the race card... oh boy, that's a touch subject. Welcome to the PC world of America. I've watched Cops dozens of times, and black people are in no way misrepresented.

quote:Of the 265,100 state prison inmates serving time for drug offenses in 2002, 126,000 (47.53%) were black, 61,700 (23.27%) were Hispanic, and 64,500 (24.33%) were white.

FghtinIrshNvrDi, i'm pretty sure you're missing the point. those who are incarcerated in penitentiaries are not the entire criminal population. who is to say that there isn't a much higher proportion of "african american's" caught for criminal misdeeds than caucasians etc, and from what i have seen of shows like cops you could not tell me that police do not treat black men differently. you have to keep in mind that statistics and probably almost everything ever presented to the public are designed to influence opinion. a statistic on its own doesn't prove anything until the variables influencing that statistic are taken into account. we live in a world of propoganda.

lol for instance, a great example of propoganda is those beautifully colourful pictures we get from the hubble space telescope. those pictures have little to no colour and are basically black and white (just a side effect from light travelling over a distance) so they colourise them in all these brilliant colours. somehow i don't think the funding would keep rolling in if we had bland black and white photos :p

edit: sorry for the thread hi-jacking simon. i know this isn't about propoganda i just got wrapped up in it :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom