Faulty cd player or soundcard ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alistair

Beta member
I hope somebody can help me. When I play a music cd there's an intrusive intermittent low drumming/banging noise which ruins the music. The noise happens even with newly bought cds. Is this the fault of the player or the sound card or the cd ? Is there anything I can do to rectify the problem ?

I haven't tried, but should that make a difference ? I've also now found that the same dull banging/knocking sound can be heard while watching DVDs.

Once you have ripped the songs, they are on your computer and your cd rom is out of the equation. If you still hear the same noise with music playing that has nothing to do with your cd rom, it is most probably your sound card.

sounds like you got an ols A$$ dvd rom. have you tried it in a differenent cd rom?

Hi dnoch, I will try after work this evening.

EricB - yes, different CDs and DVDs all have the same problem. When I play the CDs in a friend's laptop they are OK and free from the noise.

Try downloading any music and see if it has the problem. If you still hear it, blame the sound card, if you do not, blame the CD-ROM. This actually could be a combonation of a poor power supply and a noisy motherboard as well.

If you want a known good file, get some mixes from www.djchriscanada.com and these download's are legal :)

Alistair said:
Hi dnoch, I will try after work this evening.

EricB - yes, different CDs and DVDs all have the same problem. When I play the CDs in a friend's laptop they are OK and free from the noise.

no, I meant did you put another cd or dvd rom in your computer and then try playing the cd.

the first dvd-rom's that came out had your problem. a few of them (pioneers) could be fixed with a firmware upgrade.

he means a different DRIVE.. when you say a "different cd or dvd rom" that means "a different cd or dvd rom"

get in the habit of saying drive ... it looks like you leave "drive" out ... everytime you need it.

a dvd rom is a DVD

a cd rom is a CD

Yes, I have tried various CDs and DVDs, all brand new ones, and the same knocking/banging can be heard especially in the quieter moments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom