Explorer crashes when I right-click something?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RNiner

Beta member
I'm trying to edit the command line of one of my shortcuts, but starting today all my right-clicks on my desktop cause Explorer to crash with this message:

Windows Explorer

Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Blah blah blah

The only thing new that I've done today is add another monitor. I didn't have Nview installed, so I uninstalled my old vid card drivers and re-installed the latest to get nview back on, so I could use multi-displays. The problem started when I was using horizontal extention, but now that I'm back to just a single monitor it still does it.

Did I do something to make Microsoft hate me???

Hmm, it seems to be any .exe file only (or shortcut to .exe) and explorer crashes no matter what I do to it (click to change its name, right-click to go to its properties, etc.)

I can right-click and change the names of other types of files like excel spreadsheets and .txt files....

Using ShellExView, I disabled all the non-Microsoft entries and the problem went away, so I started enabling them all back and discovered that the entry

CmdLineContextMenu Class

was causing the problem. Its usage: "SecuROM context menu for Explorer." Made by Sony.

I've disabled it and there's no problem anymore. What is wierd is it has been on my computer since November of last year, and was last modified on July 11th of this year. There were 5 new entries from today, none of which caused the problem. (All related to NView, which I just installed). Odd, but at least its fixed. Maybe NView has a conflict with whatever this is.

Thanks for the replies anyway! I discovered a link to that program on this site, from a not-so-related-but-sounded-similar-to-my-problem-thread. :laughing:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom