Excel save fails

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbul1

Beta member
XP Sp3, 2gb ram & 320gb HD using Excel2000
When I make an entry into an XL workbook and try to save via (disc icon) or 'Save as' or X out with option to save, the save appears to take place (witness the graphical bar), but instead excel quits (workbook exits).
A temporary file appears on the desktop with a label e.g. F191000, 0F42F000, CC932000, etc. The temp files do not have the new entry data either.The no save occurs on any .XLS file even when saved under another name.

About 4 weeks ago now, I did a clean install of both the OS & Excel2000 to solve the same problem, now the problem has returned. All updates were applied to XP & XL.

Just answer suggested a fix if a module name contained an equal sign.
Neither module did.

I am at a loss (as is JustAnswer) and want to know if anyone has seen this.

If you're working off of an existing workbook it might be corrupted. Try saving a new excel file. Try also copying the file you're trying to add to and past it somehwere else, try editing the newly created file and saving that. Also try saving it another drive/location, check your folder permissions and make sure you have rights to wherever you're trying to save it. That covers a few things.

It does not matter if the XLS file is new or old. Changing the 'save as' name works, but can't create a new file name indefinitely.
By editing I assume you mean adding to the existing file. If I could do that I would not have a problem.
As for permissions I have not found valid instructions for accessing my 'administrator log-in' file options. All instructions I've found differ from my layout.

After Save, the sheet closed & returned to the destop display.
Nothing appeared to occur with the alt+F4 except that the display blinked,
when re-opened the new worksheet was empty.

No, 'Save As' with the .csv as the extension, saved as it always does when doing a 'save as' under a different name, but when re-opened and saved with the .csv extension it did not save.
To clarify 'save as' works with a new name or extension, but any 'save' thereafter fails

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom