Ethernet solution? QUICK REPLY PLEASE

Status
Not open for further replies.

mexicanmusicman

Beta member
I had an ethernet cable running from my mom's room, directly above me, and i had to cut the connector off to get the cable down to my room. Now i'm stuck with an ethernet cable that has no connector. :annoyed:

I have no RJ45 Crimper so is it possible that i could just connect all the separate wires within the ethernet cable with electrical tape? :wtf: or is that not possible and i have to blow 40 bucks to get a crimper?

I had an ethernet cable running from my mom's room, directly above me, and i had to cut the connector off to get the cable down to my room. Now i'm stuck with an ethernet cable that has no connector. :annoyed:

I have no RJ45 Crimper so is it possible that i could just connect all the separate wires within the ethernet cable with electrical tape? :wtf: or is that not possible and i have to blow 40 bucks to get a crimper?

No, it's not possible. You need a crimper if you want any sort of decent connection.

Grab a crimper. I got one off of ebay for cheap.

I agree. And while you are at it, you might want to get some spare RJ-45 (Ethernet) connectors. Reason being, if you crimp and the wires aren't positioned correctly you might get little or no signal. So having more is good, and then you can try again. In a short while you can get the hang of it, but for your first Ethernet connector crimp you will probably want a half-dozen or so on hand.

I agree. And while you are at it, you might want to get some spare RJ-45 (Ethernet) connectors. Reason being, if you crimp and the wires aren't positioned correctly you might get little or no signal. So having more is good, and then you can try again. In a short while you can get the hang of it, but for your first Ethernet connector crimp you will probably want a half-dozen or so on hand.

Good call. There have been times I have put ethernet ends on and they looked like they were machine quality, all wires lined up and in order, cut straight across the top, etc - yet no connectivity. Cut it off, crimp another one just like it on - bam, connection.

RJ45 connectors aren't real expensive on ebay though. I got a pack of 50 pretty cheap a while back. And although it's important to get quality crimpers, it sounds like you'll only use this thing a handful of times and not for hours a day where it'd make a bigger difference.

This will help as well.
Cat5Ca1.jpg

My first crimp took about 5 tries to get it right. Now I hit it about 95% of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom