ethernet port for WLAN box

Status
Not open for further replies.

clark33

In Runtime
Hi -

I used to have a usb modem, which i replaced with a wireless live box - this setup means i have to connect it into the ethernet port, which used to be free for me to share my internet connection with an ethernet cable. So, all would be fine if the computers i was connecting were wireless but they are not. Therefore - would some kind of router resolve this problem or am i just being a bit confused?

thanks.:confused:

Yes a router is the order of the day in this case mate, who's your ISP?

I'm guessing from "live box" that you are on orange, am I right. Those boxes are terrible but it is a router already, there is no need to buy additional kit. As long as you have it all plugged in and the adaptor set to DHCP you should be set, my guess is that the network settings on your computer are left over from when you were using ICS and so are now wrong.

I'm guessing from "live box" that you are on orange, am I right. Those boxes are terrible but it is a router already, there is no need to buy additional kit. As long as you have it all plugged in and the adaptor set to DHCP you should be set, my guess is that the network settings on your computer are left over from when you were using ICS and so are now wrong.

Yep, you be right that I am on Orange! Cant wait until my contract is up so I can move onto someone else, looking to go to atleast 10 meg.

I connect the live box up to my PC through the LAN port on the back of the live box to the ethernet port on the back of my PC. This provides the physical connection. Because the live box is hooked into the ethernet port - it nulls the option to connect a single ethernet cable between two PC's. So, im not sure that it would be a network settings problem - and therefore think i might have to get a router, so i am provided with other ethernet ports!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom