ERROR MESSAGE on iMAC during Boot Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harper

"I FEEL SO GOOD I FEEL SO NUMB, YEAH!!!"
On the process of trying to install a new hard drive on a iMAC G3, I get the following error message on boot up. It's the first thing that shows up on the desplay.

BOOTr, unknow word
Failed to boot
Apple iMac Open Fireware 3.0.f3 built on 12/02/98 at 10:25:41
Copyright 1994-1998 Apple Computer Inc
All Rights Reserved
ok
0 > _

At first I thought that it was not dedecting the new hard drive (Seagate 40Gb @ 7200 RPM), but when I installed the orginal drive (Western Digital 6Gb) back the, the same above error message continued to show.

The orginal Western Digital 6Gb still has a copy of OS8.6 on it.

What is going on with this iMAC?
How do I go about fixing it?

"When the PIMPS on the Internet: Overclock it like it's Hoooaat!..."

This is somthing that only happens when a disk needs to be formatted before it's mounted. If this is some sort of ATA Harddrive, you need to format it as an: EXTENDED HFS. I don't know how you would do that, but you need to find a way somehow. :eek: :confused:

Just remember the golden rule of Buying a Hard Drive: Allways Reformat it first!! :cool:

Well, I am trying to get the orignal drive to boot up and I am getting that problem.

BUMP AGAIN.

Plz help me with some one. I got boss putting me under a lot of pressure on this one. And thanks to this problem, it's putting me behind in other thing that I am really suppose to be doing.

Also while I am at it, how does one go about upgrading the firmware on a iMAC? Especially considering that there is a no floppy drive for it.
(or will I need a USB Floppy Drive)

FINNALLY......

This morning I started doing a magor trial and error with this machine. In the end, I took out (what I think) is the Cmos battery, and I left it alone for a half hour.

GOOD NEWS!!!!
It's work again. I got this POS to boot up again.

Now to get this F-ing harddrive on there. I will take the advice about formatting this thing first. I got a USB external enclosure at my disposal.

I am on a roll here.....

Today is my day. I now have the Seagate 40Gb Hard Drive detecting in this thing too.

I basically picked up where i left off with this computer with plugging the new hard drive as a master. I boots up and started getting into OS.X.

SUCCESS AGAIN!

This POS is now seeing the SEAGATE 40Gb. :D :D :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom