Error 21_ windows XP wont boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
now let try to fix the toshiba. get a cd that have a restore.mbr or fix.mbr feature. I use my drive image cd because it's easier than using the xp cd for this task.

delete the linux partition. now boot the mbr cd. I think that you type boot cfg or something like that in the recovery console from the xp cd. fellas, correct me if I'm wrong.

fix the mbr and reboot.

if that is too complicated, delete the lunix partition then stick the xp cd in the drive. now this should find your link to the xp boot.ini which should let you boot. the only problem with this is you would have to insert your xp cd everytime that you wanted to boot.

but if you can get into xp just once, run this

RestoreMBR.exe

How do I boot into windows using the install cd? (I mean, without re-installing it.)

Can you suggest a good bootable cd/dvd image that contains a restore.mbr or fix.mbr feature. Normally I would go looking myself. Normally Im working on my own, fully backed up and replaceable, system. Now is not the time for me to be experimenting with new, random software I know nothing about.

After the holidays we will be able to call the tech-guy that setup the Toshiba. He likely added an Admin password and didnt tell us what it was. (More likely we forgot.) Ill still feel better, and more accomplished, if we can fix it before then. Thanks to yall, Ive learned a lot.

How do I boot into windows using the install cd? (I mean, without re-installing it.)

Can you suggest a good bootable cd/dvd image that contains a restore.mbr or fix.mbr feature. Normally I would go looking myself. Normally Im working on my own, fully backed up and replaceable, system. Now is not the time for me to be experimenting with new, random software I know nothing about.

After the holidays we will be able to call the tech-guy that setup the Toshiba. He likely added an Admin password and didnt tell us what it was. (More likely we forgot.) Ill still feel better, and more accomplished, if we can fix it before then. Thanks to yall, Ive learned a lot.

usually if you just leave the xp cd in the drawer when you turn it on, it will automatically find the xp boot.ini and automatically boot up

usually if you just leave the xp cd in the drawer when you turn it on, it will automatically find the xp boot.ini and automatically boot up

It hasnt yet. So far, when I have the windows install dvd in the drive, it prints out "press any key to install window". After looking over the entire machine for an 'any' key, and finally doing a google search for it, I gave up. Then 30 seconds later, after waiting for a key stroke, the system boots from the hard drive with the same grub error 21.

Ill likely try it again, several more times actually. Ever hear the expression "insane means repeating a process and expecting different results."? I say, "Tell that to the fisherman."

It hasnt yet. So far, when I have the windows install dvd in the drive, it prints out "press any key to install window". After looking over the entire machine for an 'any' key, and finally doing a google search for it, I gave up. Then 30 seconds later, after waiting for a key stroke, the system boots from the hard drive with the same grub error 21.

Ill likely try it again, several more times actually. Ever hear the expression "insane means repeating a process and expecting different results."? I say, "Tell that to the fisherman."

lol.

hook the external drive up. try booting with gparted then delete the linux partition. this should make the grub part disappear. then try to boot with the xp cd in.

GParted -- Live CD/USB/PXE/HD

here is the fix mbr. but it won't work until you delete the linux stuff
Fixmbr - Repair Master Boot Record, MBRFix for Windows 2000, XP etc., fdisk /mbr, linux LILO damage MBR.

lol.

hook the external drive up. try booting with gparted then delete the linux partition. this should make the grub part disappear. then try to boot with the xp cd in.

(thats my way of saying "SWEET!")

I didnt think to try that. Sence these BIOS dont allow booting from the USB, I didnt think it would make any difference. Thanks for the suggestion and the links, EricB.

Is there any special way I need to delete that partition? Is GParted a must? I have a Parted Magic live CD already. Will that work as well here?

Im guessing all I need to do is:
plug in my external >> boot into PartedMagic >> format (or delete) the linux partition >> done

Is that correct or did I miss something?

As soon as I hear back from you Ill give your ideas ago. And Ill let you know what happens.

I booted into PartitionMagic, deleted the linux partition, but no changes. I cant seem to be able to make it boot from the CD either.

It was a good idea. Shame it didnt work.

I booted into PartitionMagic, deleted the linux partition, but no changes. I cant seem to be able to make it boot from the CD either.

It was a good idea. Shame it didnt work.

you can't boot from any cd anymore? do you have a camera to take pictures of your partition setup? we are going to get through this.

is there any reason why you can't do a fresh install?

Got it fixed! =]

After we found the admin password it was far more simple than I thought it would be. Just typed "fixmbr" let it do its things, then reboot.

Thank you, everyone that offered advice. EricB, Thank you!

EricB, I tryed to send you a PM or leave a visitor message but I couldnt find where to do that. I wanted to thank you personally for the extra effort you put into my problem. I appreciate it. Thank you.

no problem. for some reason the private message had been missing in action on some people thing in the past couple of days

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom