Embedded Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeroShade

In Runtime
Hi guys... hoping someone can shed some light. The company I contract for wants to set up an embedded linux system for a single program in which I'll be developing in C++. The reason they want linux is because they don't want the expense of windows embedded. I've done a bit of research and came across montavista 6... however I'm a bit confused. I read that its more of a software development kit to create an embedded system but I'm looking more into an iso thats prepackaged for software to be loaded on and do only that task. My question is... is it possible to download and then work away at an embedded linux .iso or do I have to physically code my own embedded system, in which case I'd go with LFS because I have some experience with it. Any thoughts? Thanks guys!! ^_^

~Marty

Yes if you are going to use a off the shelf look at Debian it supports most of embedded platforms out there, or FreeBSD also before you start take a look at openWRT and DDwrt not exactly from the ground up coded but aimed directly at this kind of platform.

Not a problem ages ago i heard of a distro aimed at the embedded market, it was commercial (not a huge price tag though £5 for a single license or £100 for unlimited) but i don't even know if it's still around, i'll keep looking.

Edit -

Well thanks to the similar thread feature I just relived the heady year 2005, the distro i was thinking of is Blue Cat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom