DVI to HDMI: HD Output Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rawmaterial

In Runtime
Hello Folks,

I currently have 8800 GT by Nvidia. I want to display 1080p on my LCD TV, through possibly a DVI to HDMI connection.

There are many different types of DVI cables.

I think i have it labeled down to either a :

DVI-I Single Link to HDMI
DVI-D Dual Link to HDMI

What type of cable would I need and if possible could you please provide me a link to where I could purchase such a cable?

Side Note:
Can my LCD computer monitor display a 1080p resolution?

You'll probably want a dual-link. I know that Dual-link can provide higher resolution than single link, but I'm not sure of the limit. 1080p means 1080 scanlines, and at the TV-typical 16:9 aspect ratio, that equates to 1920x1080 resolution. However, many widescreen monitors are not 16:9 but rather 16:10. That means that they probably have a 1920x1200 resolution. Usually these monitors are capable of handling 1080p with some scaling. HDMI doesn't seem to have as many pins though, so it may only be single link.

As for your LCD monitor, what is the maximum resolution? Like I said, 1080p is 1920x1080, so make sure your monitor supports that.

DVI-D is what you want, it supports higher resolutions

and we can't tell you if your monitor supports any resolutions because you have no told us what kind of monitor it is

You just need Single link DVI. 1080p falls in the single link range. Single link has a frequency cutoff of 165MHz. 1080p is around 148.5 MHz. WUXGA (1920x1200) is the largest resolution I know of that can operate in Single link - 1080p is smaller.

Dual link is for resolutions like 2560x1600, etc. That being said, if you find a dual link for a similar price as single link, you can buy the dual link. Otherwise, save your money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom