Dual Layer worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

koldapu

Fully Optimized
Are the new Dual Layer dvd burners worth getting? Sony sells theirs for about $200, but NEC and a few other companies have theirs for about $80-$100 at newegg.com

How much would the media cost, cause these discs hold 8.5gb each? Plus, would a scratch ruin a lot of info, since a small scratch would be doubled considering the extra layer?

They will allow you to copy a retail DVD-video. If you want or need this capability, then go ahead and get dual-layer.

i see . . . but would they be able to run in regular dvd players? dvd-rom and the tv ones? i imagine that they should, but with technology, you never know

Yes they do run in normal DVD players.

In fact, the DVD's you watch in the normal living room DVD player are Dual-Layered. That's why in some films you will see a slight pause at a point during playback. This is the player switching layers on the disc.

My advice is, if you're going to buy a DVD burner, you'd be crazy not to go with the dual-layered DVD burner. The extra storage, and in the case of myself, creating animations on my PC and then playing them on the DVD player on the TV is a huge advantage!

Cheers!

i guess this would be an investment for the future . . . i see 2.4x DL media for about $10/disc, but hopefully, like dvd media did before, they'll go down in price

Since dual layer can burn single layer, go ahead and get it. Until the media prices drop, you can use single layer DVD's for everyday app

lol i never thought of it that way;

most of the dual layers DO run 8x dvd burning, so i guess its a good deal

thanks!

A) dual layer is not the future, they are working on much bigger disks

B) dual layer burning is slower then single layer

C) The second layer will not burn at 8x, it will be slower, the 8x is for the first layer only, not the second.

yes i know, im not stupid

i know that DL writes at 2.4x (it will increase in the future . . . thats when i'll buy it); what i meant by 8x was that it burns regular dvds at 8x ( and i'll buy the DL when it also offers regular dvd write at at least 12x)

as for blu-ray and hd-dvd-rom

well, blu-rays out. . . for a while

the only production machine of it costs nearly $3000

plus conversion would cost a lot

as for hd-dvd-rom, thats what hollywood will decide to use, and that obviously influences the entire industry

the reason : the recording layer is stuck inbetween 0.6mm layers of plastic in the middle of the dvd, so the production line conversion would be easier and cheaper

as for when to buy hd-dvd-rom - obviously when they come out with it, but i dont expect to buy it until 2006, when the fcc requirement for fully-digital tranmissions takes effect

as for me; right now, the dvd-rom / cd-rw drive i have will do

now, with the SL dvd's....you cant just pop any dvd-media into the burner and expect them to play in any DVD unit....I know that you have to watch for the +/-R.

Now, with the DL, is there such a thing as +/-R? Or is it just one DVD-media disk, now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom