DSL errors in Windos 7

astallard

Beta member
In Windows 7 (32 bit) I have been unable to connect to DSL due to error 651. I tried replacing the (corrupted) raspppoe.sys file with a copy downloaded from the internet.

This only revealed another problem. After this measure, I kept on getting the 797 error--modem not found. I soon discovered the wan pppoe miniport (virtual hardware) driver was bad. However, upon trying to re-install, the driver, I got an error from Windows stating the driver software was found but could not be installed.

Finally, I used system restore and this worked a little bit. The connection might work for an hour before it cuts off and I see the error 651 message again.

In addition, I also enabled plug-and-play, turned off automatic dial-up and every other suggestion floating around the interent in an attempt to solve the problem. None of them have worked so far.

Does anybody have any suggestions?

Yeah, never use system files downloaded from the internet. Who knows what could have been done to those files.

Try a earlier restore point or just flat out reinstall. Who knows what damage you have done using "replacement" files found on the internet has done to your system.

If you must get replacement files, grab them from the install CD, or do a /sfc to check and replace corrupted system files.

Back
Top Bottom