Dorm Net issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

SirCyber

Daemon Poster
Help!!!

ok, I have an emergency type of deal. I live at the college dorms as of tuesday, and I brought my linux pc. I also have a VOIP phone. some retard here at the college is using the wrong port on his laptop or using a router and broadcasting or something, most that I know is that he's knocking out the net to the main portion of the dorms. I say main because the lobby computers still have net. (they are probably on a different portion of the network) what I'm wanting to know is can I use my WRT330N to sniff out or fix this problem from where I am at? currently I don't even have access to my router because I set it up and set it to full security using the shuttle, and forgot to add an exception. *if I could get help setting this up as well that would be GREAT* I REALLY need my phones, and I desperately need my computer on the net as well. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP!!!!

*your assistance in this matter is greatly appreciated*

Re: Help!!!

can I maybe set my router to recieve? *currently I have all broadcasting turned off due to restrictions here at the college, but the other person *whom I don't know, nor where the issue is* obviously doesn't.

Have you talked to your school's tech department and network admins yet? That should be the first step. They can trace things a lot more effectively than you might be able to. Plus they also have the administration on their side, they can tell the student to do what needs to be done or suffer, you on the other hand can not deliver such justice.

Edit: Also, how are you sure it is another student and not a router or switch that has some settings that have gone screwy? It could be 1 of 1000 things.

LOL the tech dept here knows alot less than this cumulative community, trust me. I know one of the guys on the tech team, and I know about 75% more than him about computers. anyways... the head of the tech dept sent an email to all dorm residents *isn't that funny as there's no net cepting the lobby* saying that they were fairly certain that it was a laptop using the wrong slot or wrong port. it would be great if it was a wireless router, but the tech team tried sniffing it out to no avail. *course, the culprit could have turned it off* administration won't be a whole lot of help, though before class I will be talking to a few people. I just want to know if there's a way to reconfigure my router to sniff out his stuff *I personally think it's a router, despite the email* and access his router through mine?

Ok, so whoever it was that was jamming the net is currently not, and I am back on my trusty Linux pc. Only one problem... I can't access my router, and my phone will not load reliable bandwidth *I'm assuming. I get the green light telling me I have VOIP but all I get is silence with the occasional crackle*. anyone that can please help me? I really really really need my phone!!

merged the threads... please do not start a new thread for the same issue....

If you configured your router such that you can no longer access the web config page, your best option would be to do a factory reset, and configure it again.

If you are having trouble with a VOIP phone on the school's network, then contact the net admin (as has been already suggested), and see if they are able to solve the problem. It could be that there is a port blocked that is causing the issue, in which case, you are SOL unless the network Admin will unblock the port for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom