Does a Mac really need anti-virus?

Which video card???

• eVGA 6800 Ultra

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Saphire/ATI X850XT

• Saphire/ATI X850XT Platinum (A little expensive)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MacMaster64

Baseband Member
Well I was looking around google and I looked at a few articles on that which made my search inconclusive so I just want to know does a Macintosh need anti-virus?

Dude...almost 25% of your posts have been polls. You don't need to ask for opinions that way. :p

Anyhow, I wouldn't pay for one, and I personally don't feel that it is very necessary, but if it's free, extra caution never hurt anyone (unless you happen to be low on resources such as RAM and hard drive space)...

Whoops. Maybe I should get a firewall? My Mac usually only connects to the internet through a proxy running on my dell, so I think I'm pretty well pretected. (Physical firewall = gg)

You don't even need to get a firewall. Just go to your security settings in your System Preferences and enabled the built in Firewall. Also, about the anti-virus program. I do partially suggest you get one for the sake of the Windows users out there. Even though Macs aren't effected by viruses, it is still possible for you to spread the virus files through email, to Windows users who CAN get infected. Just a little notice. It's not manditory, but it's a nice addition.

downloading em'

the most probable way of getting a virus through mac is downloading something you dont know.

As macs are getting more popular annoying hacker kids are starting to write viruses that will affect them. at this point I haven't heard of anyone with a mac actually getting a virus though...

I think any of the mac viruses are almost all over 10 years old, i.e., will not affect OS X.
Just switch on OS X firewall and you'll never have to worry.

But I want A firewall that tells me about all communications for free like Kerio but they don't have a version for mac

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom