Do you get what you pay for in router prices?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ummm definitely not true..
when in doubt avoid netgear and buy linksys..

linksys is a subdivision of cisco. and cisco and networking are like peanut butter and jelly. you can't go wrong.
It was a joke.

I've used both Linksys and D-Link, while personally i've never had issues w/ my D-Link, i've had a handful of connection issues w/ Linksys. They sometimes tend to drop the signal for no apparent reason. Doesn't mean all of their brands or models do this, just the ones i've used have.

I'd probably recommend NOT picking up one just based on brand. Do a little research, often you'll find that things change drastically from model to model, so while (for example) the WRT54G Version 5+ sucks ***, the WRT54GL is great.

Isnt that like a saying from long before anyone can remember?

You get what you pay for.

It is true. Spend the money get better stuff. I spent about $100 on my DLink router and it has not let me down in over 2 years. I spent $40 on a LinkSys from Wal-MArt and i had a ton of connection issues with it.

On the contrary, I spent 80 dollars on a Dlink router that died in a month, then 65 on a Motorola router that died in 3 months, yet my WalMart Linksys router has been running for 2.5 years.

Imagine that?

This topic is a varied as people's opinion's on which OS is the best. It is all based on opinion. While many have never had issues with their LinkSys stuff i have had nothing but issues. I have owned no less than 5. All of them were either DOA or died within a month of each other.

I got 2 different DLink routers. A DGL4100 Gaming router and a new DIR628 WiFi. Neither of them have failed me in the time i have used them.

But yet as Jayce points out as well as Trotter they have had more luck with LinkSys than me. My LinkSys routers varied in model type so i know it couldnt have jsut been a bad batch. I even had one that was based off the Cisco stuff since it was labeled as such on the package.

Yet everyone failed me. So the experience the OP might get might fall somewhere in between all of ours or it might go with 1 extereme or the other. There is no way for any of us to sit here and say for a fact that 1 is better than the other as we all have had a certain kind fail on us while others have not. Just like we each have a OS of choice.

I've worked with an absolute ton of routers doing the work I do for people and I can honestly say that none are very good. D-Link, Linksys, Asus, Netgear they all have so many problems it's rediculous. I would estimate it's about a 40% failure rate. It's really a hit or miss situation with every router. Some will work great while others of the same exact model will not.

I've worked with an absolute ton of routers doing the work I do for people and I can honestly say that none are very good. D-Link, Linksys, Asus, Netgear they all have so many problems it's rediculous. I would estimate it's about a 40% failure rate. It's really a hit or miss situation with every router. Some will work great while others of the same exact model will not.

The truth.

The other factor to consider is that everyone has an absolutely different wireless environment. Your building structure, the electronic devices in and around the building, the other wireless devices in the area, etc., etc., all play a role in what we each consider to be a 'good router experience'. YMMV is the real answer here for any of the routers that are being discussed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom