Do I need a wireless router?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spit-wad

Bake a Pretty Cake!
I'm in a dorm room. I have 1 roommate. There are only 2 ethernet ports in the room.

I have a desktop, currently connected to 1.
Roommate has a laptop, currently connected to the other.

I also have a laptop and a PS3, and he has an iPod touch.

So basically we want some wireless options here.

I want to make sure my desktop stays wired, because I play games on it and can't risk disconnecting.

I assume all I need is a wireless router?
Could I just plug the router into my port, then plug my desktop into it, and then have a wireless network for everything else?

If so, anyone recommend me a cheap wireless router that will do the trick?

This is probably the most common wireless router used today by regular consumers:
Newegg.com - LINKSYS WRT54GL IEEE 802.3/3u, IEEE 802.11b/g Wireless-G Broadband Router - Wireless Routers
I use it myself, and it's just so easy to setup.

If you want a little cheaper:
Newegg.com - LINKSYS WRT54G2 IEEE 802.3/3u, IEEE 802.11b/g Wireless-G Broadband Router - Wireless Routers
I think it's just a newer version of the first one I linked.

You can't just plug and play, unless you want others going onto your wireless and eat up the bandwidth. There are a few settings to tweak in order to protect yourself and your roommate.

Thanks b1gapl.

Hopefully I'll be fine setting it up - if not, well then that's why I have tech-forums!

(gonna buy that 2nd one most likely)

If possible use at least wpa or preferable wpa2 if you equipment supports it. I am sure there are want to be hackers who would love to crack some wep encryption in your dorm

I'm using wpa2, but admittedly the password is not very strong right now. I'll change it tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom