Do I have slow Windows XP startup?

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.techist.com/forums/f70/do-i-have-slow-windows-xp-startup-log-file-216063/

Moved Log File to proper location. Okay first off let me say that you are going about this all wrong. Firefox itself takes a long time to load period. Even on my system with a Dual Core CPU and 4GB of RAM it can take up to a minute to load. It is the program for that aspect. You have to do the time from when you start to a working desktop. Factoring in Firefox is only going to confuse you more cause FF already takes a long time to load.

So test from when you start a boot to the time you get a working desktop. Meaning you can do anything BUT load firefox. Try opening just My Computer.

http://www.techist.com/forums/f70/do-i-have-slow-windows-xp-startup-log-file-216063/

Moved Log File to proper location. Okay first off let me say that you are going about this all wrong. Firefox itself takes a long time to load period. Even on my system with a Dual Core CPU and 4GB of RAM it can take up to a minute to load. It is the program for that aspect. You have to do the time from when you start to a working desktop. Factoring in Firefox is only going to confuse you more cause FF already takes a long time to load.

So test from when you start a boot to the time you get a working desktop. Meaning you can do anything BUT load firefox. Try opening just My Computer.

Understood. I'll work on that tomorrow and I'll document the results.

I know Firefox takes longer than other browsers to open, but it just seems like it takes TOO long on my system. And again, I'm just trying to analyze my entire system speed in general, but I thought startup was a good test because there are definable lengths of time from "Power Button" to ready to use........

I'll post tomorrow. Thanks.

Well there was a increase in speed that i seen from the first post to the last one in regards to time it took to get the icons in the tray. But to use Firefox as your ultimate measure is ill advised cause that can even take that much time on my system.

You need to use something that you know doesnt take much time. Opening My Computer is a better measure since it is when you know you have a working desktop. Compared to trying to load Firefox which at that point you already have a working desktop. 2 different measures.

By the time FF loads you already can use the desktop, you could possibly load IE or Opera or any other browser in less time and even be on the net faster. Firefox is slow to load.

Test #4, Computer off all night, Turned on this morning:

- .16 "Windows XP" Black Screen Loading
- .49 Blue Screen, "Windows XP"
- .59 Windows Music plays
- 1.06 My desktop appears, no icons on taskbar
- 1.45 icons appear on taskbar
- 1.49 Sound icon appears bottom right
- 2.00 I Click "My Computer" on Start Menu
- 2:08 - "My Computer" opens
- 2.20 Kaspersky Icon appears, bottom right
- 2:30 Kaspersky updates start
- 3.26 "Computer Might Be at Risk" Icon on bottom right appears (it will disappear soon)
- 4.39 Kaspersky updates finally ends
- 4.45 Click Firefox Icon
- 5.05 Firefox homepage opens

So My Computer took 8 seconds to open at 2 minute mark. First moment could really click it since taskbar icons didn't come on until just before then. It did take 40 seconds for icons to "kick in" on bottom taskbar. Does seem like alot.

Maybe my system isn't that slow, maybe it's just firefox.....

To hit My Computer to open at 2 minutes is great. That is what i was at. That is a working desktop and a great time for the specs listed.

Yes Firefox does take that much time. It is that slow. I have 3GB more RAM and a decent CPU and it still takes Firefox over a minute to open for me. So it is just the program.

You dont have that slow of a boot up. You have what the rest of us have. A slow starting Firefox.

To hit My Computer to open at 2 minutes is great. That is what i was at. That is a working desktop and a great time for the specs listed.

Yes Firefox does take that much time. It is that slow. I have 3GB more RAM and a decent CPU and it still takes Firefox over a minute to open for me. So it is just the program.

You dont have that slow of a boot up. You have what the rest of us have. A slow starting Firefox.

OK, sounds good. I really don't want to do a reinstall of XP, but after 4 years, simply trying to get opinions on how fast or slow my system is and if worth doing. Sounds like maybe system is still pretty fast for the specs.....

Thanks for help.

On a side note, what is up with Firefox? Thought the whole point of Firefox was a leaner browser. Seems like a fatal flaw that would take so long to load. And seems like takes so much resources at times as well......

Shhhh....dont tell anyone. ;)

But it is true. It takes the longest to load and even with the latest build there is still the memory leak that causes Firefox to eat up a ton of resources. I have seen my FF take up to almost 500MB of RAM. Depending on the sites i am on and how many tabs open.

People like it cause of the customization. That is the main draw.

Shhhh....dont tell anyone. ;)

Uh oh....I've said too much.....soon I'll have guys in black suits with Firefox logos on their lapels knocking at my door and I'll conveniently be **suicided**.......gulp......

Actually, I thought the point of Firefox was also security. Mak, do you still use Firefox or do you venture into the land of Opera or Chrome or something else.....

Mak's fave is Opera, but I was able to get him to using Firefox a little more. ;)

Have you tried a good defrag (third party app, not Window's) and Bootvis? MS no longer distributes it, but it is readily available and works great with XP:
|MG| BootVis 1.3.37.0 Download

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom