DLink DIR-625 Wireless (n-draft) router configs help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Murdoc

In Runtime
Hello,

I'm a regular teenager who just loves gaming and downloading stuff. When it comes to internet speed, I take it very seriously and I want to get every bit of Juice i can get from my service provider. So I decided to get a new router which is the Dlink DIR-625 wireless router hoping that its QoS system would give me some gaming improvements as I will be switching over to wireless cards very soon (I'm using wiring to connect to my router right now).

Can someone please give me some tips on how to tweak this router? On my old crappy SMC wired router, I'm able to get a server list for CS flooding all over my screen in seconds, but with this new router I can barely find one server that has a stable ping below 50. I'm on Rogers 5MB high speed internet and I have done speed tests showing great speeds shown below. it's impossible that I'm getting such bad connection for games. I've also recieved decline in speeds downloading off Mega upload.

Click to see pic here

Before Router Change:
Mega Upload = 300 kb/sec - 500kb/sec (Average) || 700kb/sec + (high)
CS ping = 10 ms - 20 ms (average) || 8 ms (lowest)

After Router Change:
Mega Upload = 50 kb/sec - 100 kb/sec (average) || 260 kb/sec (highest)
CS ping = 20ms - 40ms (average) || 14 ms (lowest)

Here's what I've tried to stop this issue:
- Stopping QoS
- Open Ports for CS
- Turned on Application support for CS
- Put my computer on DMZ

So far none of these actually gave any significant improvements

Don't connect with the wireless connection for gaming, it's unreliable. And the more features you have enable on your router, the more overhead on the device. The simple things are faster. Those routers are just like computer but very low end. If you need improvement, try locating an old system, you can turn an old computer into a router if you have at least 2 NIC on it.

I have already enabled DMZ and turned off the QoS feature... There's not really anything left for me to turn off as their "advanced features". I've already spent 100 dollars on this router and so I hope I can find a way to tweak it so it works good.

I've also turned off wireless at the moment and are using all wired connections. All the results you've seen are tested based on my wired desktop computer.

I have already enabled DMZ and turned off the QoS feature... There's not really anything left for me to turn off as their "advanced features". I've already spent 100 dollars on this router and so I hope I can find a way to tweak it so it works good.

I've also turned off wireless at the moment and are using all wired connections. All the results you've seen are tested based on my wired desktop computer.

wired will always kill wireless. don't believe the hype telling you otherwise. if you want a performance boost spend another 75-100 bucks on the wireless N pc card. it's a lot faster than the g card

I've never known mega upload to ever be fast

You can connect directly to your modem to see if there is any improvement. This helps isolate the problem to the router instead of your computer.

Could be a crappy router, search for some firmware update. If you're concerned with performance and you have some spare PC around. You can use them as your router, they will provide you with more processing power than your average SOHO router.

first off, i would not suggest putting your computer in the DMZ because now the router's firewall is not protecting you as it should be.
DMZ's are for web and email servers as well BH's

as for megaupload....their speeds vary for unregged users

ping for CS is fluctuates as well and what server you connect to

only other thing with the router i can think of is to uncheck the WAN ping under advanced/advanced network.
you could bind each local ip to a mac address on the network...but...that probably won't do anything....

as well, if you have extra cables, replace the existing one, make sure your 6'' away from any electrical (assuming UTP)

check your logs to make sure that no previous message is repeating a lot

i have this router and it's done nothing but improve my network

i have this router and it's done nothing but improve my network

ditto for me.

fellas, he has a wireless n router, but he using a wireless g card, then he complaining about the speed. he needs a n card to see improvements

ditto for me.

fellas, he has a wireless n router, but he using a wireless g card, then he complaining about the speed. he needs a n card to see improvements

This is not about the wireless card problem. I don't have a wireless card yet and so I'm going with a direct wired connection at this moment. Wireless will come in handy when I get my Dell XPS M1330 but that's another discussion. I'm just not sure what I might have/have not done to improve the performance of this router.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom