Display images correctly in Windows Photo Viewer

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmote

Seg Fault'n,
I just spent a couple of hours working this out and thought it might be useful to someone out there.

If some of your images are displaying squashed or stretched in the Windows Photo Viewer in 7 and possibly Vista, this could mean that this is an image that you have rotated or otherwise manipulated in certain image manipulation programs. What can happen is that the EXIF data can be saved by these tools with incorrect x-Resolution and/or y-Resolution values, most other applications and certainly the Windows Explorer file preview ignore these values and consequently display the image correctly but when opened up in the Photo Viewer, the picture can appear as a very thin vertical or horizontal line.

The easiest solution that I could find without downloading any additional software is to select the affected files in Windows Explorer, right click and select Properties from the context menu, select the Details tab. At the bottom of the Details tab you will see that there is a label that says "Remove Properties and Personal Information". This dialogue will allow you to remove individual properties or to create a copy of the files without any of the listed properties. I selected the "Remove the following properties from this file:" and simply removed the "EXIF Version" under the "Advanced photo" heading.

After that, my pictures show up fine in the preview and in the Photo Viewer. I hope yours do too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom