disk read error occurred message help

Status
Not open for further replies.

raverx3m

Daemon Poster
so my mom said she was browsing a webpage recently that she always goes to and from what she told me i belive se caught a virus.
because she said the antivirus popped p a window saying that the file was quarantined and then once she restarted the pc it would not load windows

it gives the "disk read error occurred please press c\a\d to restart
thats allit does, it wouldnt go into safe mode it wouldnt start samsung recovery or anthing
i loaded up the partition magic from my cd and it says inactive partition error or something like that.

Well it could be one of many things.

What AV is installed? Could be one of those pesky updates that quarantines valid Windows files.

But from the error you describe it sounds as if the partition itself was marked as inactive. In which you will need to mark it as the system active drive.

i actually tried in part magic.
i checked make this partition active and restarted. didnt make any difference

should i load dos and try the fixmbr and other master boot record commands to see if it will make any difference.

its a samsung np-r610 with vista home premium
i dont remember what type of antivirus is there, either preinstalled or AVG free

when i try to use the samsung restore program it says "windows partition drive not found"
if that helps

i connected it to my desktop today
partition magic gives me error
init failed:error 100
partition table is bad
wouldnt let me run error checking

i finally found an xp install cd that worked so i loaded the repair dos prompt
fixboot and fixmbr
it saidthe boot record was corrupt and it fixed it
i try loading windows it doesnt load still
so i run the samsung restore again and it goes thru fine
i try to start windows and now it says
NTLDR is missing

so i go back to xp repair prompt and its now asking me for the dministrator password
WTF this harddrive is about to drown in my toilet accidentally.

is there any way to pinpoint where the problem is coming from?
i kinda need help quick its my moms PC they need it for business.

Well the first mistake was using XP Media to try and recover the boot loader. XP doesnt use the same boot loader as Vista. XP uses teh boot.ini and Vista uses the BCD. So now the boot is gone until you use teh media to fix that.

So now you need to go here:

Windows Vista Recovery Disc Download — The NeoSmart Files

Get that media. Burn it to CD. Repair the Vista boot loader then try to use a restore point like i had originally said. Until you do that, the only option you have is to contact the PC Manufacturer and get the Vista media to reload Vista. I can tell you right now that is pretty much where we are heading anyways due to XP saying that the partition table is gone. That is bad and a sign that you need to format and reinstall.

yea i didnt have anything else at hand. my dad is bringing the vista recovery disk today.

he said it happened while he was watching the movie with some unknown media player

ok now im getting the error: 0xc00000e9
i ve been reading abotu if online and still makes no sense
everybody keeps saying remove unnecessary hardware but itsa **** laptop lol and i already removed the only hardware i could detach (cdrom) and same issue.

i dont know what else to check for
i ran teh recovery and restore programs over and over for days and still same crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom