DiRT2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oreo

-Deactivated-
Anyone else tried dirt2 on PC yet ?

I tried the demo on consoles quite a while back, and while i found it really very good i just didn't want to pay the money for it. But then the PC version came along, and so i went around to a friends house who is a Colin McRae rally fanatic to play it today (And DiRT 2 is basically a Colin McRae game, the whole game is referenced to him) and oh my, i bought it off steam the second i got home. The games graphics even on my non DX11 GPU (The game is in DX11) looks absolutely stunning, on several occasions it looks photo realistic, it is that good. Even on the highest the settings would let me go, i average 47fps with a minimum of 40 - which i deem very good, concidering how amazing the game looks. I really would rank this as the best looking driving game ever, if not the best looking game ever full stop.

This game is an entirely different and markedly better beast on PC. All the different types of events are great great fun, so far after around 1.5hours of gameplay i have yet to find a single bad track, they are all very good. The vehicles all handle well, they feel weighty and powerful - much unlike the original DiRT where they seemed to hover. The progression through the game is well paced, yet seems like it might be pretty long. This may seem a bit random and weird :p.., but this game has the best looking car headlight effects i have ever seen, and during the occasional night track in london the night time, exceptional lighting and reflects effects, 1st class particle system make it truly amazing. You can see the night scene i am on about here, YouTube - DiRT 2 DirectX 11 tech demonstration video bearing in mind it looks twice as good in game ofcourse.

As you can probably tell i kinda love this game. One thing confuses me though, all that stuff in the video is dx11, yet i am certain i get all them advanced flag and water effects when i set the settings to highest despite being on a DX10 card (For now, crimbo soon..and i have my eyes set on a ATI 5970 with a PSU to match)

But yeh, buy it :D

Nope.

Xbox Controller for windows. I am really concidering getting a wheel, though.

A force feedback wheel is an essential (for me) when playing any sort of driving game. I tried the DiRT2 demo for PC when it was released the 1st or 2nd? Definitely a great game, but seems as if it's going to have the same old sound issues, with lowering FPS... Especially when other drivers are talking. I drop from 80FPS to around 30-40 when there is speech, or a bunch of vehicles around. (Sound similar? Very similar to what was up with DiRT)

****** Codemasters! You did a GREAT job with GRID, it was flawless for the most part, but you can't figure out DiRT?

I have the G25 and I'm having a hard time keeping the car in control. I tried the Xbox controller and it was much easier. I hate it when games become much harder with a wheel. This game is pretty frustrating. I've played a lot of sims (GTR Evolution, rFator, etc) and consider myself decent. But then I tried this out and was getting so mad!

I have the G25 and I'm having a hard time keeping the car in control. I tried the Xbox controller and it was much easier. I hate it when games become much harder with a wheel. This game is pretty frustrating. I've played a lot of sims (GTR Evolution, rFator, etc) and consider myself decent. But then I tried this out and was getting so mad!

That's what it was like for me with the demo, but I adjust the force feedback, and deadzones. Seemed the slightest wheel movement before adjustments, I would spin out.

I think the 5870 I bought comes with a coupon (it's to get it for free right?) for DiRT2. I'd be playing it with a 360 controller. I was looking at it's site yesterday, the graphics look amazing on the videos. Reflections, the water, the models..

What adjustments did you make to them?

I can't really remember, but I know I lowered the force feedback strength, have no idea what I changed the deadzones to, as I had to tweak it a bunch. Lowering the FF strength helped the most, 'cause I didn't have a "jumpy" wheel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom