Diabling the clock on vista? Employee Abuse...

Status
Not open for further replies.

wtfspiderpig

Solid State Member
We have a timeclock that runs off of the window's clock and the employees have gotten a little crafty and started changing window's clock to clock in earlier than when they got here. I know i can right click and choose not to display the clock but its only a matter of time before they figure that out. I have vista but i don't know how to turn off that permission for them. It would be great if there was just a line of code or something else i could put to just make the whole thing disappear without doing the right click, properties, then choosing not to display the clock.

Any Ideas?

Group Policy Editor
•Run GPedit.msc to start Windows Vista Local Group Policy Editor.
•Expand the tree to go to User Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Start Menu and Taskbar.
•Change set the state value to Disable or Not Configured for the following group policies to enable showing or displaying of the icon in the notification area.Clock: Remove Clock from the system notification area
Volume: Remove the volume control icon
Network: Remove the networking icon
Power (battery) Icon: Remove the battery meter
•Close the Local Group Policy Editor.
•Restart Explorer, Log off and log on again, or restart computer to make the change effective.

Group Policy Editor
•Run GPedit.msc to start Windows Vista Local Group Policy Editor.
•Expand the tree to go to User Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Start Menu and Taskbar.
•Change set the state value to Disable or Not Configured for the following group policies to enable showing or displaying of the icon in the notification area.Clock: Remove Clock from the system notification area
Volume: Remove the volume control icon
Network: Remove the networking icon
Power (battery) Icon: Remove the battery meter
•Close the Local Group Policy Editor.
•Restart Explorer, Log off and log on again, or restart computer to make the change effective.

GPedit.msc doesnt seem to exist on this computer =(

Is it Vista Home Premium? If so, that's why it doesn't have GPEdit. You could try creating a restricted user account and having the computer run in that normally, and only have the Admin account used to install things and password it.

did you go to run<GPedit.msc<......

or did you just search for it?

EDIT: you could also just fire them ...i'm sure that's easily breaking a rule lol

carnageX is right about the GPedit file. And i did run it...definitely not there.

unfortunately tho i can't fire them. I'm a network admin not a manager =(. and one of the offenders is related to the owner. Thx tho =)

Actually what i ended up doing was going doing START > RUN > REGEDIT then HKEY_CURRENT_USER/SOFTWARE/MICROSOFT/WINDOWS/CURRENTVERSION/POLICIES/EXPLORER and putting in 3 DWORD files: "HideClock" modifying it to a value of "1" to visually hide the clock, then "NoControlPanel" with a value of "1" to restrict them from changing time in the control panel, and then "NoTrayContextMenu" with a value of "1" to prevent anyone from right clicking on the task bar and changing the time that way.

although on the desktop i had to go under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE instead of HKEY_CURRENT_USER for some reason because once i got down to it, policies/explorer didnt exist.

You may want to disable editing of the registry for all users on those machines except for the root admin, just to prevent them from modifying the registry, some users are inredibly crafty when they really want to figure things out.

You may want to disable editing of the registry for all users on those machines except for the root admin, just to prevent them from modifying the registry, some users are inredibly crafty when they really want to figure things out.

good call =) Just did that. Thx.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom