Desktop with a wireless antennae installed but always cuts out

Status
Not open for further replies.

pogo21

Beta member
I have a desktop computer at my work and had to buy a wireless antennae to get on the internet. The antennae was installed correctly, and it gets on the internet, but it doesn't work too well. Every minute the internet cuts out and takes about 15 seconds to get back on the internet. I don't know if its possible that the computer is too slow to handle it (it's a Dell Dimension 4500, 2002). The computer is as high I could put it because at first I thought that it was too low to get a connection or something. There are several people in this office who all have laptops and are getting wireless just fine. My wireless signal says very good or excellent all the time except when it cuts out and says acquiring network address. Any help with this would be really appreciated!!!
Thank you

Like you said it could just be the PC to be able to utilize the card correctly. Could be a faulty card. Could just be a cheap card.

What type of card is it?

I bought a: OEM MSI Z802PKG 802.11G PCI wireless Network card.

Is there any way to make my computer work faster or work better with the card?

Just the correct driver. Other than that there isnt anything you can do to make it work better or faster. Does it say it is compatible with the OS you are using and do you meet the minimum specs recommended for that device?

Yes to both. It said it worked with XP and i met the minimum requirements. I installed the driver (it came with a CD when i bought it).

Have you checked the web site for a updated driver? Maybe the one that is on the CD is a older driver that is known to have issues?

I got the piece off of ebay, so I dont know the website. I have not downloaded any other drivers...but I only got this thing about a month ago. Are there any websites that would have the updated drivers because the guy on ebay did not have them.

Try running something like Everest or Belarc Advisor. They can tell you all the info about the part and from there you can find the manufacturer's website.

Thanks! Updating the driver worked and I now have internet that doesn't cut out. Thanks so much for your help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom