Desktop Support Diploma

Status
Not open for further replies.
mack, what certs do you hold?

A+ / Net + are very basic entry level certs. If you have 12 years of xp, that would mean much more to a employer

I think he means 12 years experience, not realizing it may be mistaken for Windows XP.

Certifications aren't always in the cards for certain people. Entry level or not it isn't always about knowledge, but the cost and opportunity cost of those certifications.

I am trying to make my final decision on my career path, as I am now back in school to get my A.A.S degree in IT. I am a hands on person and want to work with troubleshooting computers and networks, and I have always assumed that I would need to get a degree to do so. The degree I am focusing on is Internet Security with other elective classes working with hardware and trouble shooting. It sounds like the advise that you recommend is to look at getting cert's instead. I won't hold you to it, but should I look harder at cert's instead of the degree? :)

Both. Many companies won't look at you without a degree in your hand. Certs show you know what you know. A combination of them will help you out, but experience is the real measure, unfortunately.

Both. Many companies won't look at you without a degree in your hand. Certs show you know what you know. A combination of them will help you out, but experience is the real measure, unfortunately.

Thanks Trotter, aaahhh the vicious circle. You need experience for this positions, but how do you get the experience without the positions. :laughing:

Maybe one day that will make sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom