Dedicated Sound Card(Just got one)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mkilbride

Baseband Member
Now it says it boosts performance(I hear, only 1-2FPS, so whatever)

But here's the thing, I purchased it, 130$, high quality and highly recommended. People told me the difference was NIGHT & DAY.

Headset on / 5.1 Surround Sound speakers...I cannot tell much of a difference. At least not 130$ worth of a difference.

Not to mention that it's only spot is right next to my 8800 GT, not helping air flow and increasing temps...yey, but they're not that bad.

I mean, everyone has told me for years... "Onboard sound doesn't cut it"

"Onboard sound quality is awful, you'll never be able to go back to it"

I've used Onboard sound since...well...forever, since I got any of my computers. I've tried movies and various games, and not noticed much of a difference. I noticed backround music is more clear; but that's about it.

Are they all smoke and no fire? Are all 130 or so reviews of this product just paid reviewers(All gave it a GREAT score), or are they just lying to themselves so they don't feel like they've wasted money.

Is it that my ears aren't good enough to pick up a increase? I have very sharp ears though, I can pickup whispers from rooms away usually. Is my mind just telling me it's not better, like some kind of mentality?

Newegg.com - Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional 70SB088600002 7.1 Channels 24-bit 96KHz PCI Express Interface Sound Card - Sound Cards

This is what I picked up. Installed it, it's working, drivers and all, put on the correct settings in the control panel...and well, I just don't understand. Is it really nothing? I'm probably going to return it, as it hasn't really shown much use so far. I haven't really seen any game make use of it's "EAX" or all that other hype it has...

To someone who isn't particularly into audio, and takes it as is - i would disagree, i wouldn't say it's night and day. I would say it's an acceptable difference. Sorry that you feel this way. For people who love there audio, it's a massive difference. Like me, i have a good idea of how things should and shouldn't sound, and with onboard sound they most definitely sound nothing like they should - there is no detail, it's noisy and horrible, it's quiet, week, bad bass, small frequency response. Everything that could possibly be wrong with a peice of audio equipment is apparent on onboard audio. With a good soundcard you solve most of these problems, there is a stronger signal, far better bass, much more detail, better extension, better controll. everything is superior. It's true, totally undeniable, whether the person notices it or not is a different matter.

You would notice it alot more on Monitor speakers, or high end audio gear in general. What are you listening with at the moment ?

I told you, I'm listening with 5.1 Surround Sound speakers(Logitech) they're from 2006. The speakers to low quality? I believe they were like 150$ when I bought them in 2006.

I don't use monitor speakers, and on the new headset I got(ALSO a Creative Labs headset, said to make it sound great when they're used in combo)but the difference is not much. 90% of things sound exactly the same, except new, weird noises, that sound REALLY weird are in them, and if that's how they were meant to be(Awkward and misplaced), then I guess default Onboard Audio is for me.

My Onboard was Realtek HD Audio, nothing special though. Cheap Mobo.

Strangely enough, I just tried a game and "EAX" could not be ticked. It was greyed out still...I installed the latest drivers though and uninstalled my old sound drivers(Onboard ones)

This is the headset, also.

Newegg.com - Creative Fatal1ty USB Circumaural Gaming Headset

I believe Oreo was asking "what" speakers you are using. Just saying 5.1 or logitech is not enough information. There are thousands of 5.1 setups and they all have varying quality levels. For example are they the logitech Z-5500 or the G51?

Ok first of all, you are using usb headphones (youre bypassing the soundcard altogether).

lol... I think that might be the biggest problem here. :p

with onboard sound they most definitely sound nothing like they should - there is no detail, it's noisy and horrible, it's quiet, week, bad bass, small frequency response. Everything that could possibly be wrong with a peice of audio equipment is apparent on onboard audio.

When is this difference heard though? Games, music?

Not Bypassing the sound card all together. These are RECOMMENDED to go with the Sound Blaster, it says so. USB or No, sure, USB isn't to great, but that doesn't mean anything.

I also disagree with the moving to here, it was a question about people and how they find them of use in games, not a question about Soundcards themselves.

There is also no Mic attached, and therefore those ones posted are useless. I do not even want to USE the Headphones, just my 5.1 surround sound, and the Mic on the headset. I was just stating with even with recommended headphones, the audio quality did not increase a significant quality.

Logitech X-350 5.1 Speakers Review - Audio Speakers

Right there. I guess I can always bring the Headphones back though, order a better pair online, like the ones you linked. Seriously though, all my previous non-USB Headsets sounded nowhere near as good as this, so I thought USB was a step up once I tried them out. They're excellent for a Headset, my main problem is the Soundcard + Those Speakers = No noticeable difference from my Onboard audio. This was a cheap mobo too, the Realtek HD audio is nothing special.

Also, people who do the posts "Haha, your **** sucks", please stay away, as you're what's called a "Troll".

An example would be the Headset posters above. They didn't read my post at all, or add anything constructive, just bashed my headset.

People like the first poster are an example of "Good" posts. Please, more of those. Thank you. Also concerned as to why I can't enable EAX in this game, even with the latest drivers. Hmm.

EDIT: I read something about Creative ALchemy fixing EAX issues in Vista. My fault for using it anyways.

Not Bypassing the sound card all together. These are RECOMMENDED to go with the Sound Blaster, it says so. USB or No, sure, USB isn't to great, but that doesn't mean anything.

As far as i know in all my years of audio production...using a usb headset bypasses the soundcard because you are not directly connecting it to the soundcard itself.

This is the headset you should have bought, which plugs into the card istelf:

Creative Fatal1ty Gaming Headset - Power, Precision and Comfort for Serious Gamers

The usb version is for people who dont have a dedicated sound card installed.

The usb connection should act as its own device in control panel. For you to be using the soundcard it would have to selected in the control panel as the main windows sound device.

I also disagree with the moving to here, it was a question about people and how they find them of use in games, not a question about Soundcards themselves.

The topic was moved under my discretion because it pertains to soundcards which falls under computer audio and multimedia.

There is also no Mic attached, and therefore those ones posted are useless. I do not even want to USE the Headphones, just my 5.1 surround sound, and the Mic on the headset. I was just stating with even with recommended headphones, the audio quality did not increase a significant quality.

Logitech X-350 5.1 Speakers Review - Audio Speakers

Right there. I guess I can always bring the Headphones back though, order a better pair online, like the ones you linked. Seriously though, all my previous non-USB Headsets sounded nowhere near as good as this, so I thought USB was a step up once I tried them out. They're excellent for a Headset, my main problem is the Soundcard + Those Speakers = No noticeable difference from my Onboard audio. This was a cheap mobo too, the Realtek HD audio is nothing special.

USB is not a step up and has nothing to do with sound quality.

Getting a proper set of headphones such as senn's, Audio-Technica..etc is. None of the professional grade headphones use usb, they use headphone jacks.

Also, people who do the posts "Haha, your **** sucks", please stay away, as you're what's called a "Troll".

An example would be the Headset posters above. They didn't read my post at all, or add anything constructive, just bashed my headset.

First of all, watch the language.

I suggest you read the rules if you havent done so already. Nobody is trolling. Theres lots of experience in this particular forum (we have a certified audio engineer) as well as myself and ericb....and we can all tell you that creative may be a great soundcard manufacturer...but headphones is not there thing.

I have been working with audio for many years...and from experience i can tell you that you would be better off with something else.

Thanks for a well written post. But again, you did not read MY post at all. I do not CARE for Headphones.

Well then dont buy headphones...simple.

If you dont hear a difference with speakers, then return the soundcard or sell it.

If you want 5.1 sound, buy a 5.1 sound speaker system and a standalone mic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom