Decreased Download Speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cryora

Baseband Member
Hi, a few months ago I use to get an average download speed of 120kps with my SBC DSL Express ISP. Now, I'm getting speeds as low as 30kps but the speed varies at different times. Sometimes if I'm lucky I'll get 100kps.

I tried testing out different download servers to see if it was the dl server's fault but the speed decrease was the same for all of them.

I uninstalled all of my Torrent programs, and made sure that there aren't any background programs running that uses the internet. Regarless of this, dl speeds are still low.

Can anyone help?

When I opened to Windows Task Manager and switched to the Networking tab, Network Utilization is 1%. Does this have anything to do with my speed drop?

Also, I'm using a wireless router but I think the source of this problem is elsewhere because the speed drop still occurs when I connect directly to the DSL router.

Thanks for your time.

Are any other computers on the network...possibly using the bandwidth? That'd definetly do it...:) I had a friend over a few weeks back, and he brought his laptop. I thought I was back on dial-up for a few days...!

Well the only other computer is my brother's and the dl speed decrease still happens when his computer is turned off. My brother's comp gets the same problem also.

I've scanned my comp many times with Spybot, AdAware, CCleaner, and McAffee. I deleted everything that gets detected, so I think my comp is quite clean. It's probably not spyware related but if it is, this is one sneaky and annoying spyware.

If it happens on both computers, it could be a problem on your ISP's side (or they are purposely slowing you down, for some reason)
Are you sure you are not capped?

It's not easy getting rid of most spyware, they usually come back on thier own. Beside that, you can try to connect directly to the DSL modem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom